Shadow on silver filling

I was told I have a shadow on two old silver fillings, dentist said that fillings age out and I need 2 redone. I also have a corner of my rear molar that they want to put a crown on. My old dentist just retired and said chip on rear is fine if it doesnt' rot for now, keep it in check. New, young dentist wants the crown,but now he wants to redo 2 silver fillings because of a shadow around filling, which he says is decay. I have no pain on any teath, and when he sticks his pick into a cavity, I can feel the probe going into rot, had a couple cavities in last couple years. Seams he is doing preventative maintenance work, not required. Am I missing something. Oh, I hate getting cavities fixed, sucks, hurts. So, not into having pretty molars. I have had dental work done my entire life, so not neglected. I am 58, so if it's bad, pull it. Thanks for any info. Plus, I have to pay $320 after insurance to get these 2 fixed, which isn't an issue, but better things to spend money on.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would confirm the presence of the cavity with an x-ray. You are well within your rights to ask for an x-ray to confirm the presence of a cavity, before consenting to any filling

Vote:

Ask a Question