Child with silver crown

Best answers
Hello, I am new here. I just have a question. My child recently had a silver crown put on, and it has a number on it. Is that normal?

Ad

Advertisements

Best answers
Hi Krissy,

I'm a dental lab technician and my husband is a retired dentist. Since I make crowns, I'll say I've never put a number on a crown but then again I've never made a crown for a child. My husband also doesn't seem to think this is the "norm".

Perhaps your dentist is utilizing a lab overseas? May be a good question to ask them. There really is no reason for a number to be on a crown unless its a tattooed crown.

Best answers
Hi Krissy,

I'm a dental lab technician and my husband is a retired dentist. Since I make crowns, I'll say I've never put a number on a crown but then again I've never made a crown for a child. My husband also doesn't seem to think this is the "norm".

Perhaps your dentist is utilizing a lab overseas? May be a good question to ask them. There really is no reason for a number to be on a crown unless its a tattooed crown.
Hi Krissy,

Thank you for your response! I really appreciate it. I have never seen one either so it defiantly suprised me. I figured out it was the crown size. I did also speak with office and the tech there said it should come off after around a week or so. I sure hope so, it is on the side facing out. Thank you again for taking the time to respond!

Ad

Advertisements

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Best answers
It'll be a prefabricated stainless steel crown, not made in a lab. Very often used for baby (primary) teeth with large cavities, and placed in a single appointment. More dentists should use them as they have a very good success rate compared to a filling, but takes a bit of getting used to the technique. For girls I call them "glitter" or "princess" teeth; for boys they're "robot" teeth. The number on the outside is to help the dentist know which tooth it usually fits. I usually just polish it off before cementing it. Once, my assistant dropped the whole tray on the ground and had to re-sort them - thank goodness for numbering.

Attachments

Ask a Question