Incomplete Extraction. Too Much Novocaine? Serious Damage?

I went to the dentist to get a wisdom tooth extracted. I was completely horizontal, growing forward with the roots curved down at the back. I’m 48 years old & know I should have had this done years ago, but hindsight… The dentist used Novocaine, 2-3 doses to start. She then cut the crown loose & pulled it out. More Novocaine. Tried & tried to get the neck & roots out. More Novocaine. Ground, drilled. More Novocaine. Drilled, broke, pried, pulled. Lots more Novocaine. Etc. I was in the chair for 5 hours with a bite-block (2 or 3 5-10 minute breaks or Novocaine to take effect). The last break was after the last set of injections. I sat up just to change positions for a minute. I looked at the instrument table, and counted the veils/cartridges of Novocaine over & over (as a distraction). There where 16 of them! What is the maximum dosage??
The last 45 min.s to an hour was bad. I could feel every pry, twist, and pull. When I left, I was is some pretty bad pain. My jaw hurt like it was dislocated. But, the worst part, I think, was the fact that she didn’t get the roots out!! Basically, everything under/passed the neck is still there!!! I snapped a picture of my x-ray last week. I wish I could include it in this post. My nerve is clearly visible, as well, and can be seen running right through that area. Beside the roots or possibly twisted between them from all the attempts?? For three weeks I had a pretty intense cramping from almost the top of my head to just above my collarbone. The doctor has prescribed pain medication and antibiotics since day one and last week, added a muscle relaxer, which seems to have REDUCED the cramping, but I’m still in a lot of pain. It doesn’t feel like extraction pain, nor does it feel like infection pain. And, while there is pain in the gland area & running straight across just above my adams apple, my glands aren’t swollen.
This was done by a dentist at the urgent dental care facility (due to financial woes, I received assistance) in my town, not an oral surgeon.
Can you give any insight into why so much pain? Could there be serious damage? Have you ever left an entire root or two in a patient & told them that over time, maybe a year or more, they would loosen on their own & would be easily removable once they worked their way up a bit??? I have an upper partial plate that I have not been able to keep in for more than 5-10 minutes, because it starts cramping in my jaw which then spreads. I’m a salesman, but not without my front teeth in!!! What should I do???

At a loss & going crazy from a month of pain,
Jeff

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I am only hearing your version of the story, but if there are root pieces still left after 5 hours of work and you are in that much pain, with swelling spreading towards your neck area...this really needs to be addressed by someone competent and pronto. The dentist or someone in the office needs to see you and deal with this problem. Leaving exposed roots and saying they will one day rot out of your mouth would be laughable if it wasn't so serious. Send us the x-ray if you can. If nothing else, you could look up and call the local Dental Society and explain your situation, They may be able to send you to an oral surgeon for a reduced rate to solve this.

One other important point: Discounted dental work does not excuse a dentist to practice below the Standard of Care. You have a right to receive competent care regardless of what you paid for the procedure.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
Thank you for the response & advice. I think I figured out how to post my x-ray.

Those aren't little chips! A month later (today) & I feel, ever so slightly, better.
I talked to her (DDS) yesterday & she said she is going to refer me to an oral surgeon, but it won't be until, at least, Tuesday. This dental urgent care is only open on Tuesdays & the financial person is on vacation until then. I don't have the money to pay upfront for an oral surgeon, otherwise, I'd have gone there in the first place. Should I go to the emergency room? The thing about the hospital here is they seem to think everyone that walks in the door is there just to get pills. Maybe if I go in with my own Rx in hand they will see that I'm not there for pills, but actually need help. But, I can hear them now, "We can't do anything for you. You'll have to see an OS." Then, I'll just have a bill to show for my visit.

Oh woe is me,
Jeff

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Dentists haven't really used Novocaine for decades, it has just become a cultural norm to call dental shots "novocaine". Most all modern dentists use Lidocaine with a little epinephrine (adrenaline) in them. The maximum dose of Lidocaine is dependent on your weight as well as how the shots were given (in the muscle, under the skin, etc) and over how much time. Bottom line: If you are happily writing on this forum weeks after the procedure, you did not receive an overdose of anesthesia. Focus on the roots left in your jaw as the primary issue that needs to be resolved.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Sure I have, and they need to be removed by a competent oral surgeon. If you leave them and they get infected, it could ultimately affect the jaw nerve running right next to those roots causing you numbness or pain in you lip and chin. There are other even worse things that could result from this, and they are much more likely to happen than the other possibility of the roots finding their way out of your jaw naturally over time. Actually, it would be more likely that the roots would get encased by new jaw bone and essentially get entombed. This would be the best thing that could happen, but it's really hard to predict whether that will or won't. Bottom line: go see an oral surgeon...please.

Vote:
Thank you very much for all the info & advice. After talking to the dentist yesterday, she told me that she will talk to the financial person & tell her that I need to see an oral surgeon & that it should be covered, She seems to be sincerely concerned about the situation, which makes me feel better. I just have to wait until Tuesday. Wish me luck, and I'll keep you posted

Jeff

Vote:

Ask a Question