I need some info from an experienced Dental Assistant

If you've ever assisted a dental surgeon, then this question is for you...
I've been a dental Assistant for about 7 years now but I'm not certified. I was fortunate enough to receive a hands on training from a dental office which was willing to train people and hire them permanently after six months. After I passed six months training and probationary period I was hired permanently then given a raise. It was a great opportunity. Now, It's 7 years later and I've been offered a great opportunity working with surgeons who primarily place implants. So, my question is, what is the procedure for placing implants (step-by-step). I know patients usually have to wait 3-6 months after the placement to see if the bone will fuse to the implant. Also......
1) what is a typical set up for a doctor who is placing an implant?
2) when a patient does come back after the 3-6 months waiting period, what kind of set up will the doctor need then? (assuming the implant is fine and the patient and doctor want to proceed with the next step)
3) Are the final steps similar to a crown or bridge try-in and insertion?
Please bear with me people. I'm very anxious to know these things and I've always felt like Dentistry is a never-ending learning process.I appreciate any impute.:eek:

Alex,

I work in a general practice but we place implants. I will try to help...1St step is evaluate/take X-ray make sure all forms signed from pt, 2nd anesthesia, create flap or punch cut with laser, start the opening for the implant, determine the size, place the appropriate size needed, place healing abutment, sutures if needed, take confirming pa.. always a good idea to have grafting material ready as well.. the appointment in 3-4 months you should have ones, laser or scalpel, impression/shade tab, sutures, implant hex driver.. and seat apppint will be same set up as crown seat add the hex driver. Hope any of this helps.

Vote:

Ask a Question