Need info: what type and is this a real dental bridge?

Hello,

I'm having a dental bridge made for my lower front teeth (6 of them to be specific).
My dentist and I were discussing how I wanted the lab to make my bridge and I pointed out little things that I did or did not want. Long story short, he makes my temporary and I see that the bottom of the bridge isn't seated all the way down on my gums and there is actually quite a bite of space underneath. I asked him why it looked like this and he basically said for cleaning purposes. I have family and friends that have dental bridges and NONE of theirs look like mine. He said he told his dental lab to not bring the bridge all the way down and to leave "3-4mm of space for cleaning".

Does anyone know what kind of bridge this is? And is this legit? It's not aesthetically pleasing whatsoever and I've tried to ask him to please not do this but he insists that I need this. My gums are a bit "droopy". Not sure how to describe it other than it kind of sags a bit but I still don't see why the bridge has to be open.

Again, I've looked online but can't find anything on it which makes me feel worse about it.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sounds like a great trap for food waste and bacteria. As well as this it will make you whistle when you talk.

It's VERY uncomfortable to eat with. Pieces of food have been getting stuck underneath the bridge, fortunately I have a Waterpik to get it all out.
The entire situation is very discouraging.

Vote:
Currently have on temps. I have an appointment today for a fit in (dentist said they will have one of the employees from the lab come and bring the bridge for me to try on so I guess that's where I will be able to see what it looks like). I will take a picture and upload it so you can see.

Vote:
This is the bridge. I think it looks awful. I asked them to take it back and fix the space between the teeth because it looks so fake. My husband also thinks it looks really noticeable. If you look at the bottom you can see what I mean with the bridge not touching my gums. When they put it in the try it felt okay but I just can't get past the look. I'm so disappointed and actually dreading the final cementing part.

Attachments

• mybridge.jpg
    mybridge.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 221

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
  • Temporary bridges can be a bit rough. The porcelain will be much smoother - you should consider a try-in without anaesthetic. I try to do fittings of crowns or bridges without LA so patients can feel better, especially the bite.
  • There are competing schools of thought sometimes when it comes to whether to contact the gums or not. You would have quite a lot of porcelain to touch the gums in your case, and cleaning could be difficult. Primarily, the patient needs to be able to maintain the supporting teeth with good hygiene. So some bridges are designed to be easily cleansed.
  • Of course other factors come into it too. For example, do you show the gap when talking normally?
  • If you're not sure, maybe ask for a temporary bridge down to the gums to try before committing yourself to the current bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question