How long does it take for Novocain to work?

I had a wisdom tooth a few weeks ago and it was very painful. I was given Novocain but when the dentist started to pull the tooth I felt a very sharp pain. The dentist stopped and gave me another shot of Novocain, put the needle down and immediately picked up the pliers and pulled the tooth. Should he have waited a few minutes for the second shot of Novocain to work? I was wondering if the dentist should have waited a few minutes for the second dose of Novocain to work before continuing to pull the tooth?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ideally the tissue is tested with a sharp probe before even picking up forceps (or drill). The most likely teeth that are difficult to numb are lower molars, and the major test is a sharp probe in the gum next to the lower eye-tooth (canine).

Vote:
Ideally the tissue is tested with a sharp probe before even picking up forceps (or drill). The most likely teeth that are difficult to numb are lower molars, and the major test is a sharp probe in the gum next to the lower eye-tooth (canine).
Thank you so much for your reply.

Vote:

Ask a Question