Grey Matter Behind Veneers

I had veneer work on 6 of my teeth 7 years ago. I recently started seeing a grey coloration on the top of two veneers where the gum line meets. I put a flash flight behind and I see noticeable dark spots. I believe there is something going on behind the veneers. Possibly the dentist who placed them didn’t get a good enough seal and bacteria is building up? I have noticed a light pain in the front tooth and I feel concerned. Can this possibly be rotting my tooth underneath? Should I contact the original doctor and ask why this is happening? Will I need to replace the veneers entirely? I am concerned and really hoping this won’t be too costly because I am in a bit of a tough financial position.

Thank you,

Kyle

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Difficult to give more information without an x-ray or clinical photos, but the best would be to go see a dentist. It could be some staining around the margins of the veneers, which is quite normal in certain cases, or it could be that there is some micro-leakage. If this is the case, the veneer/s will have to be removed in order to clean the decay. Don't wait too long.

Vote:
Good day

Difficult to give more information without an x-ray or clinical photos, but the best would be to go see a dentist. It could be some staining around the margins of the veneers, which is quite normal in certain cases, or it could be that there is some micro-leakage. If this is the case, the veneer/s will have to be removed in order to clean the decay. Don't wait too long.
Thank you so much for your answer. I do have tooth pain near my gum line and somewhat under veneer on my tooth, if there is a cavity underneath will I need get it filled and get a crown? I have a dentist appointment for next week with the doctor who put them on. I’m hoping this won’t be to expensive.

Thank you for your help,

Kyle

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Once the decay is removed, the amount of remaining healthy tooth structure will need to be evaluated, in order to determine if you have a crown.

Vote:

Ask a Question