My expensive crown turned grey: my dentist "doesn't know why"

I have a dead tooth at the front (root canal years ago) that had gone brown so last November I forked out nearly £500 to have a crown put on it to improve its appearance.

For a week or two the crown looked great but it soon started to turn grey, which even the dentist who did the work admits. She is young and despite doing all the implants and crowns at my surgery, says she "doesn't know why" and "it's never happened before".

The dentist offered to replace it back then (November/December 2016) but warned that it may weaken the tooth further, which weighed heavily on me. It doesn't look totally horrendous - better than the brown tooth it replaced but given what I paid it is not satisfactory and looks as if it has a grey tinge which is slightly darker than my natural teeth.

Now I need a bridge replaced (also at the front of my mouth) but don't want this dentist to do it. I don't want to pay at least £1k only for the same to happen again.

So I want to know if anyone can recommend a good, experienced dentist who would do a good job and who would know what's gone wrong with my crown? I'm in south east London but don't mind travelling within the London area for someone good.

Thanks!

I have a dead tooth at the front (root canal years ago) that had gone brown so last November I forked out nearly £500 to have a crown put on it to improve its appearance.

For a week or two the crown looked great but it soon started to turn grey, which even the dentist who did the work admits. She is young and despite doing all the implants and crowns at my surgery, says she "doesn't know why" and "it's never happened before".

The dentist offered to replace it back then (November/December 2016) but warned that it may weaken the tooth further, which weighed heavily on me. It doesn't look totally horrendous - better than the brown tooth it replaced but given what I paid it is not satisfactory and looks as if it has a grey tinge which is slightly darker than my natural teeth.

Now I need a bridge replaced (also at the front of my mouth) but don't want this dentist to do it. I don't want to pay at least £1k only for the same to happen again.

So I want to know if anyone can recommend a good, experienced dentist who would do a good job and who would know what's gone wrong with my crown? I'm in south east London but don't mind travelling within the London area for someone good.

Thanks!
I wonder. If this is ceramic crown, it cantc be discoloured at any cost unless purposely done, even while drinking soda, alcohol, strong tea, chocolates etc. Anyway crown may comes in Resin category too.
Types- metallic, resin, ceramic, metal ceramic.
Resin crown may loose texture and colour. It can be discoloured with time by rigorous use of strong tea/coffee, chocolates use, alcohol strong, hard brushing, more conscious about that crown to keep it clean and hard brush, not maintain oral hygiene, lots of soda drink use, pulp tissue damage/reinfection of treated tooth (RCT) etc.
Hence RCT fail may be a cause too.
1. If crown is darken due to resin made or low quality ceramic used (thin layer) then it can be replaced. No need of RCT.
2. If dentist insist on re RCT, it means that was a failure. Though you don't feel starting symptoms.
I suggest, change dentist (where do you live? I may search for another Endodontist/ experienced dentist).
* This time take ' Dental Insurance' policy. Ask your agent.

Vote:

Ask a Question