Dentist refusing to give pain med school after multiple oral surgeries

Ann

So for the past 19 days I have been facing one of my worst nightmares. Until now I have never been afraid of going to the dentist but cautious due to horror stories you hear. I went in to get a bridge with an extraction, the extraction being tooth #30 so teeth 29 and 31 needed to be prepped for crowns to support the bridge I would need after the extraction. The dentist began by prepping the crowns then was going to do the extraction. Before he started the extraction I said that I had a tooth pulled on the opposite side previously and it was fused to the bone and it took a lot of muscle and almost 1 hour for the dentist to get it out. The dentist said well this one will be simple it's not fused to the bone. So he began prying, hammering, digging, pulling, etc on my tooth as he constantly had to switch sides. After about 15 minutes I asked what the problem was and he just said he was working on it. He continued working on the tooth for about 2 hours before he finally gave up because he couldn't get the roots out because they were fused to the bone!!!!! So I asked what now and he said I'd have to come back to see the oral Surgeon. As I'm checking out I am told that the oral Surgeon will not be in for a week and I was like don't you think I'm gonna be in a lot of pain and I was told there was a 50/50 chance. I was just given a script for an antibiotic and told to come back the following week. OMG I was in so much pain that night and combo of Tylenol and Duexis (prescription ibuprofen I already take daily) was not helping I was in tears and could not sleep and to top it all off the temp crown fell off tooth 31. I called the dentist in the morning and asked if anything could be done and they said no to just take Tylenol and come next week. I was miserable for that week of course and it was he'll trying to eat or drink anything. Got to the oral Surgeon she got the roots out and had to stitch up my gum so I asked to be given something for pain. She gave me a script for 5 2mg at Ivan which I though was odd but it totally helped. I managed the pain with those 5 at Ivan, Tylenol and ibuprofen for 3.5 days and when the at Ivan was gone the pain was much worse than the week before. I went to the dentist office to get the temp crown that fell off put back on and it wouldn't hold because the tooth was not prepped correctly and my gum had started to grown over the tooth because of the extraction site and the crown being off for so long.. I asked for something for pain and the prescribed ketorolac and also told me I needed another surgery to get a crown extention on the tooth the temp crown would not stay on and it would be another week to see the oral Surgeon again. Well the ketorolac did nothing to help the pain so I was miserable another week. Had the crown lengthening now and they didn't place the temp,crown on the tooth but I didn't know this until hours later because I was so sedated from the procedure. I called when I was in complete agony after the sedation wore off and was told my appointment is 8 days away for them to put it on. I asked for them to give me something for pain and they called in Lodine. Well the Lodine does not help and it feels like someone took a cheese grater to my gums, then took an ice pick and hammered my teeth it feels like I've been shot in the right side of my face and head. The right side of my tongue and the right side ofor my lower lip are like number but painful they feel like they are frozen.. I called the dentist and asked for an actual pain killer and they refused. Is this normal to go through all of this and to be refused pain killers? I can't eat and it's hard to even drink through a straw, I have to tilt my head to the left side otherwise it causes more pain than I'm already in. I don't know what to do I have paid them over 2k already on top of what my insurance has paid. I can't exactly afford to start over with a new dentist. I'm in so much pain I have a massive hole where the tooth was extracted, a tooth with a missing temp crown and a tooth that has a temp crown that kills if I put pressure on it. Someone please help and let me know what my options are.

PLEASE IGNORE THE WORD SCHOOL IN THE TITLE. KNOW IDEA WHY IT'S THERE EXCEPT MY TAB MUST HAVE AUTO ADDED IT.

Last edited:

Ask a Question