Dentist refusing to do extractions?

Can a dentist refuse to extract teeth that you want pulled? I'm 54 and finally decided to get full top dentures and like all my siblings before me have bad teeth. The enamel is very thin and fracturing is inevitable. I have dealt with tooth pain, pulling and trauma for to long and want to be done with it once and for all. I explained this to my dentist but he still refused to pull two back teeth and two eye teeth. One of the back teeth was nothing but pure filling and that one he decided to crown so I'm left 2 weeks waiting for a permanent crown that I know will not hold. He shaved it down then admitted that they don't have a very good temporary cement so I have to endure the sensitive stump that is part filling until my appointment time. The temp. crown came off on the drive home from his office.
I just wanted to be done with all this. He actually yelled at me after the 8 shots of Novocain and told me to decide what I want to do but he is NOT going to pull good teeth. I did it his way and I'm not feeling very positive. My question is, can a dentist say no when the patient knows what's best for them? This feels like they want to keep me coming back. I can afford the dentures now but may not in a few years when the so-called "good teeth" break.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
A dentist can treat or not treat whatever they feel comfortable with. You, the patient, can do the same. It sounds like the two of you don't have a compatible mindset.

Vote:
I tried 3 different dentists over the last few months, non would pull a back teeth that's been hurting for a year because they don't see anything wrong with it on the x-ray.

Vote:

Ask a Question