Bridge or partial?

Rue

My new dentist has recommended extraction of teeth 8 teeth leaving 2nd molars & pre-molars both sides top & bottom and all front teeth. (In prep 4 braces decades ago, 4 molars were pulled.) He is recommending partials. While I know it would be more expensive, would combination bridge, partial denture be better? Would you do bridge on bottom & partial on top? Remaining molars would be restored. Could that be done before extractions, or does it make sense to work on one section at a time. Really dreading extractions. New dentist experienced & seems competent, but he's NEW to me! Thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You will always get different opinions. Some important considerations are which procedures are more traumatic (more drilling, more surgery, etc.), more costly vs benefit (value), and more functional vs esthetic. I always favor less traumatic. Partial dentures will be less traumatic than bridges. With bridges, the abutment teeth needs prepping (drilling). After drilling, those teeth can get more sensitive and painful. When the bridges get cemented and you don't clean them as recommended, you can get cavities under them and worst case lose the abutment teeth. Partials do not require a lot of drilling but they are not as functional and comfortable as bridges (minus any sensitivity) due to their removable (not cemented) nature. Many people do get accustomed to them so they are happy.

I'm very big on prevention. I get disappointed with my colleagues when their patients continue to have deteriorating teeth with no discussions on home care and prevention. Bottom line, natural teeth will always trump any restoration.

Vote:

Rue

Thank you for your response. I hadn't factored the Trauma associated with bridges and that makes the decision somewhat easier. Age & aging crowns bring me here. I have always been meticulous about brushing & flossing.

Vote:

Ask a Question