bridge or implant problem

I have been told that I am a clencher. I have had bottom molars #18 & #19 root canaled 6years ago. Recently, I had excruciating throbbing in tooth #19 and had to have it extracted. My question is which would be better a bridge between tooth 18 which has already had a root canal and #20 which is a virgin tooth or a single implant for #19 even though I am told I am a clencher and it may break?

Implants or dental bridge

It is better if you opt for dental implants than getting dental bridge. Implants are the best way to replace missing teeth. If you are in habit of clenching your teeth, then you can get mouth guards for it.

Vote:
Whatever you do DON'T GET A BRIDGE! Those teeth they destroy to support the bridge will need to be dealt with in 10 years or less and your only option at that point is going to be a removable denture. Bridges are the biggest ripoff in the history of dentistry but dentists love to do them because they are big cash cows for them. Go with the implant or even a single-tooth partial denture. Trust me its a much better and healthier option than the bridge. I just had a six crown bridge removed and now I am having all my roots yanked out along with it and replaced with a partial denture. And I just turned 44!

Vote:
It is better if you opt for dental implants than getting dental bridge. Implants are the best way to replace missing teeth. If you are in habit of clenching your teeth, then you can get mouth guards for it.

+1

The most highly recommended replacement method is implants. The success rates are very, very high and they can last longer and are sometimes easier to take care of than bridges. They keep the place of the tooth in the old socket and prevent further bone loss. The downsides are they're expensive and your gums will take time to heal. Obviously, not everyone is a candidate.

Tooth Replacement with Dental Implants

Dental Implants | AAOMS.org

Bone loss is going to occur with bridges and partials. Neither option is perfect and each have their own trade-offs. It's an inevitable fact and you will end up losing more and more remaining teeth as the bone loss continues. The primary reason for bridge failure is poor hygiene which needs to be taken care of and decay between the bridge and supporting teeth which makes it imperative to visit a dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups. Pressure the bridge causes on the joining teeth can also cause them to crack. This can be compounded by periodontal disease, diabetes, and other disease.

Dental Bridge Multiple Teeth Replacements Single Tooth Bridgework Pros and Cons Ask The Dentist
Bridgework has been known to fail in 2-3 years ... but has also been known to last 25 years and more.
Bridgework Failure Chicago IL Dental Bridge Repair Replacement Fixing Bad Bridges Teeth Replacement Illinois
It is not uncommon for bridgework to last up to 30 years or more. Unfortunately, failure can occur in as little as 1 month. Insurance companies typically "expect" average bridgework to endure about 5 years, which is reflected in most dental insurance programs.
Removable partial dentures would be my last option as they have been shown to either increase tooth loss greater than a fixed bridge or at least didn't help the survival rate of remaining teeth like fixed bridges have been shown to do.

Survival Rates of Teeth Adjacent to Treated and Untreated Posterior Bounded Edentulous Spaces
Treatment with a removable partial denture did not increase the likelihood of adjacent tooth survival, while treatment with a fixed partial denture did result in modestly improved survival of adjacent teeth.
Research Shows That Not Replacing a Missing Tooth Increases Risk of Losing More Teeth
We can see that if a missing tooth is not replaced the loss of adjacent teeth ranges from 12%-19%. Tooth supported bridges improve survival with tooth loss from 7%-10%. Removable partial dentures increase abutment tooth loss from 17% to 30% at 4-7 years.
I would be interested in seeing any information that would contradict this and indicate that partial dentures will result in a higher percentage of tooth survival over a fixed bridge.

Vote:

Ask a Question