Permanent Bridge, Temporary Cement, and Oral Implants question

I have a permanent bridge permanent cemented over my lower front teeth. Since the placement, the bridge is uncomfortable, irritating my gums, and causing a lisp. I am having the bridge completely redone next week (by the same doctor) to eliminate some of the bulk from the labial side for the purpose of improving the comfort and fit.

In July, I am considering an beginning the process to have an oral implant placed (with the two adjacent teeth crowned) in that area as an alternative to having the bridge. The hope is the implant will be more comfortable, and that I will have an easier time keep the area clean First, a bone graft will be needed (5-6 month recovery), then the implant screw placement (2-3 month recovery, then the tooth placement and two adjacent crowns placement.

The oral surgeon is recommending that when I have the bridge replaced I should use temporary cement instead of permanent cement. This is so the oral surgeon can take it off for the bone graft and take it off again for the implant screw. I am concerned that the temporary cement may cause the bridge to fall out during the 8 months or so it will be in use. Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Hui Full Mouth xray.jpeg
    Hui Full Mouth xray.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 315
Solutions
They can do pretty strong temp cement. It just means they have to wrestle a bit to remove it. If the fit of the bridge is good it should not fall off. If it does fall off then they need to look at the fit. Obviously you have to be more careful if it's temporary cement but you should still be able to eat most things. The alternative is that they do a temp bridge. That can also fall off but they can put on much stronger cement as they won't be worried about drilling it off if necessary to remove it later.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Since you've already had a bridge done, I don't see there is any advantage by doing an implant. An implant will be harder to keep clean, and more likely to fail compared to the bridge. If the bridge was too thick labially, then the crowns would normally be about the same thickness, so see how you dentist goes with the new bridge. When he tries it in for fit, don't let him cement it if it's still too thick - he can always cut some back and have it reglazed. Even the temporary bridge he gives you between appointments should be close to the correct thickness and feel good. Photos of your current bridge from the front and above would be helpful to see.

Vote:

Ask a Question