Beginner upper dentures over top of dental implants

I am 64. After a lot of years of difficulty, my dentist has talked me into upper dentures. I have 2 upper dental implants, prior to remaining extractions. My dentist put screws, or covers in the 2 remaining implants, while he extracted all upper teeth. He said that I could decide if I want snap in upper dentures, and the 2 implants would be enough to hold them. He said I could let my gums heal for at least 6 months while I decided whether to go with 2 implants that are already there for $2000 or use suction to hold the denture, without implants for additional $1000. Wearing the upper denture over top of the upper gums with old implants that have screws in them has been painful, and I think that the implant screw keeps the denture from seating. One implant seems quit irritated. I need to go forward with my permanent upper dentures. My beginner dentures do not fit and fall out without adhesive. I am uncomfortable at this point with the dentures in or out. I need advise as to get permanent upper dentures using my 2 current implants or hope for a good fit and not use the implants. Can you give me advise on this irritating issue?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

The beginnner dentures that you are talking about, is what we refer to as immediate dentures. They are usually placed directly after extractions. They begin to lose retention after a period of 6 months to a year, because the areas where your teeth used to be, changes shape as the bone changes dimensions.
Sometimes a reline is done, to improve the fit, but usually a new denture needs to be made ultimately.
Without any pictures, it is difficult to give an exact opinion, but it can be possible that the existing implants can prevent the denture from seating as it should.
If there is too much pressure on the implants, and one already " looks irritated " , I would get this looked at, because chronic inflammation can result in a condition called peri-implantitis or peri-implant mucotitis, which could ultimately lead to implant failure and loss.

Since you already have 2 implants, I would suggest going for an implanted supported denture, where the denture is attached to the implants. It might be necessary for an additional implant to be placed, in order to prevent too much strain on the other implants, especially if they aren't 100%.
You can maybe have a consultation with a prosthodontist, in order to make sure if 2 implants are enough and if the 2 that are there, are still stable enough to support a denture?
Ultimately an implant supported denture is a lot more comfortable, since they don't " feel loose " in your mouth.

Vote:
Good day

The beginnner dentures that you are talking about, is what we refer to as immediate dentures. They are usually placed directly after extractions. They begin to lose retention after a period of 6 months to a year, because the areas where your teeth used to be, changes shape as the bone changes dimensions.
Sometimes a reline is done, to improve the fit, but usually a new denture needs to be made ultimately.
Without any pictures, it is difficult to give an exact opinion, but it can be possible that the existing implants can prevent the denture from seating as it should.
If there is too much pressure on the implants, and one already " looks irritated " , I would get this looked at, because chronic inflammation can result in a condition called peri-implantitis or peri-implant mucotitis, which could ultimately lead to implant failure and loss.

Since you already have 2 implants, I would suggest going for an implanted supported denture, where the denture is attached to the implants. It might be necessary for an additional implant to be placed, in order to prevent too much strain on the other implants, especially if they aren't 100%.
You can maybe have a consultation with a prosthodontist, in order to make sure if 2 implants are enough and if the 2 that are there, are still stable enough to support a denture?
Ultimately an implant supported denture is a lot more comfortable, since they don't " feel loose " in your mouth.
I have pointed out to my dentist about crooked implants information that I have read. He agrees after 6 months that mine are crooked and will not work. Therefore I have dentures over top of 2 unused implants. They make the implants sore and uncomfortable. Is this a common practice? They cannot be removed easily?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

The implants can be removed. If the implants stay painful and sore, this could be that the pressure of the denture is causing some inflammation around the implants. Chronic inflammation is never a good thing, since this might actually lead to soft and hard tissue damage.
It might be a good idea to get a second opinion.

Vote:
Good day,

The implants can be removed. If the implants stay painful and sore, this could be that the pressure of the denture is causing some inflammation around the implants. Chronic inflammation is never a good thing, since this might actually lead to soft and hard tissue damage.
It might be a good idea to get a second opinion.
Is removing the implants a complicated procedure, or is is similar to a tooth extraction?

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

It depends on the amount and condition of the bone surrounding the implant. Sometimes a similar instrument that was used to " screw the implant into the bone " is used to " unscrew it ". This should be done by dentist or oral surgeon that is trained in the placement of implants.

Vote:

Ask a Question