Sour upper teeth?

Recently, my mouth becomes sour over severel hours of inactivity. If I rinse it out, after a few hours it feels sour again. What's even odder is it seems to feel sour only around the upper teeth and not much around the lower teeth. If I rinse with a mouthwash, the sourness comes back slower. This has never happened before, and I floss and brush my teeth every night and see a dentist twice each year.

The only possible thing I have done that may be related is I stopped wearing my retainer on my upper teeth (I had braces) every night, but wore it every other night instead. A few weeks later is when I noticed the sourness. Coincidence?

The sourness I refer to is the same thing you feel in the morning especially if you go to sleep without cleaning your teeth, except I do clean my teeth.

I now wear the retainer every night, but it doesn't help. I'm worry this sourness would cause bad breath and accelerate tooth decay.
Any idea what I may be dealing with? I already asked my orthodontist this question but he had no answer.
I'm pretty sure it is not acid reflux because it happens in the daytime and because the sourness is concentrated around the upper teeth.

Ask a Question