Any good dental night guard for cracked upper front tooth?

Earlier this year I cracked my RIGHT upper front tooth. I've twice seen my dentist (and then checked with an endodontist who did a cone beam CT scan-- he just told me that the upper jawbone structure is sound) who said I should try an OTC prepare-it-yourself night guard. You see, the tooth really only slightly bothers me during sleep when it simply physically feels a bit strange or weird. I've looked at products at Amazon but tend to read only the 1 star reviews since I don't trust the 5 star ones. In the 1 star reviews, people complain that it's not so easy to drop the plastic form into boiling water, let it cool a bit and then bite down on it when one puts it in the mouth to make it fit the teeth. Some of these products seem lousy too and maybe will have a bad taste when used during sleep. Have any of you found an OTC product that is fairly easy to fit to one's teeth and which is durable and has no awful taste? Please state the name of it and where I might find it/buy it. Thanks

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why wouldn't you get a dentist or prosthetist to make you a proper nightguard? As an experiment, I once bought a DIY whitening kit from the internet - you take your own impression with the putty and tray they supply, post it to them, and they send back the whitening tray and bleach. Even in my hands, there is no way I could make a decent impression.
As for a boil-and-bite, that's simply hopeless. You'll waste your money.

Vote:
OK, thanks Matt for that info.

You see, I've never used any kind of tooth guard so I've no experience with these objects. Also, instead of directly getting a proper nightguard made by a dentist, I only wanted to see how these fit and if I might be able to make a useable OTC one that would feel good during sleep. I'm a light sleeper and also use a CPAP machine which employs a "nose pillow" (a thin, soft rubber item with 2 holes, one for each nostril) pushing up on me under my nose. I wondered that with the nightguard and the CPAP nose pillow, I'd have maybe poor sleep especially if the OTC prepare-it-yourself one might force my mouth open a bit. [I can't have my mouth open during sleep due to the nature of the airflow from the CPAP machine.]

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Definitely don't bother with OTC night guard if you are using a CPAP; you won't be able to close your mouth.

Vote:

Ask a Question