Dental fear

Haven't been to dentist in years for lack of insurance. Now I have dental insurance but fearful to go to dentist for fear of what they will find. I brush, floss and use mouthwash daily. Receding gumline. Black tartar.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You will have to go to the dentist. The longer you wait, the more severe any existing issues become, which might also become more expensive.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is often not as bad as you might think. Take the first step by getting a consultation and examination, then take each issue step-by-step.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Tell them of your anxiety and see how they respond - it will give you an idea of how they will treat you. The first appt for someone in your pposition should be examination and Xrays, followed by discussion. No need for a procedure like cleaning.

Vote:
I get it. going to the dentist after years away can feel daunting! But you're already doing great by brushing and flossing daily. The dentist will help get your mouth healthy without judgment. Catching up on checkups is important even with good home care, some things need a pro. Take the leap and book that first appointment! It'll give you peace of mind knowing your smile is in good shape.

Vote:
Darwin, I get it..... I become sick to my stomach starting the day before appointment. I fight cancelling visit until I walk through door and I want to bolt from the office before my name is called. I hate the smell & I hate the sound of the drill. These are the things I do, low dose of Xanax (get from Dr. & only use for dental visits). I take minimum dose so I can drive & fully function safely. I take about 30 mins before leaving home. take calming music & headphones. Wear really comfortable clothes. I have a friend whose dentists uses a blanket if patient want to use it. Plan ahead of time for something comforting afterwards when you can eat or drink, warm tea, etc. take a nap afterwards if needed. All the extras are great , but what gets me in the dentist chair is Xanax. Hope this helps

Vote:
Darwin....... A really important thing I forgot to say is to make sure you tell your dentist if you take Xanax or something similar, dose amount, etc. Btw, I had my baby teeth capped as a preschooler. I remember the
dentist telling me if I couldn't sit still he'd end up drilling through my cheek. I also was emotionally & physically
abused at home, lots of head & face stuff, so I definitely have some anxiety regarding dental visits! And yes I
did get lots of therapy. :))))). Good Luck!!!!

Vote:

Ask a Question