Alternative to gum tissue graft?

I've got a severe gum recession with one of my lower teeth that my hygienist thinks is due to having had braces about 10 years ago. She says I only have about 2mm of gum until I would then need a gum tissue graft to prevent infection and tooth loss. She described it to me and it doesn't sound very good: http://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/gum-tissue-graft-surgery#1

Isn't there some kind of material that could be applied to the base of the tooth to keep it covered. Maybe some kind of adhesive? It's hard to believe that fillings can be put in teeth, but they don't have anything that can simply cover over the exposed root of a tooth without removing skin from the roof of my mouth! That would probably be felt for quite some time, and I'm sure my tongue would feel it for the rest of my life whenever it touches the roof of my mouth, reminding me that a piece of skin was removed.

BTW, I posted a picture of the tooth in question in another thread awhile back. Here's a link to that thread if you want to see the picture: https://www.dentistry-forums.com/threads/is-this-much-erosion-of-gum-normal.21860/

If you live in California I would recommend you check out Dr. John Chao, he does a unique procedure called pinhole gum rejuvenation (look it up on YouTube) which is the only alternative to gum grafting (as far as I know). Your case seems pretty extreme so IDK if it works in all cases but what you should do is email him, send him your pictures and see what he says. If you do live close by or can travel their then I think it would be better to go see him in person.

Hope This Helps :)

Sorry, but I don't live in California. I'm in Wisconsin.
I looked up the video on youtube and was surprised to find that the skin graft method was more complicated and cringe-worthy than I thought it was. The pinhole method made me cringe as well, although maybe not quite as much. I can see how you would think it wouldn't work in my case. It looks like there would have to be more gum in that area than I have.

Are you a dentist? Do you know why some kind of a coating couldn't be applied to the exposed root area to prevent it from being exposed? I'm thinking that such a coating could be a replacement for the gum there. So far, I haven't heard that anywhere as an alternative.

Vote:
No, i'm not a dentist. I was told back in 2012 (when I had adult braces) that I might need to get gum grafting done since my orthodontist was not sure how the end result would be but everything worked itself out and it turns out I didn't need it. I was doing research (like yourself ) to find alternatives and that's when I came across Dr.Chao.

If I do remember correctly, Dr.Chao does teach and certify dentist across the globe on how to do this procedure, you can contact his office and ask if there is anyone certified in Wisconsin and they'll provide you with a list of dentist.

As far as applying a coating, I've personally never heard of this but maybe a dentist can chime in and clarify.

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat! I had adult braces as well, and my hygienist says that those were most likely the reason for the gum recession I have. She looked back in her records which go back 3 years, and she said that the gum level for that tooth is at the same place now as it was 3 years ago, which is at 6mm. She said that if it goes down just another 2mm, it would lead to exposure of an area that would cause infection and then tooth loss of my lower teeth. That made me nervous.

The fact that you said you had adult braces too and have suffered the same result and that everything worked itself out gives me hope. I got braces when I was 34, had them removed at age 36, and now I'm 45. It would seem that the recession is the result of having braces rather than a lack of gum care on my part. But now the gum line for that tooth is so much lower down than for the surrounding teeth that it makes it harder to brush at the base of that tooth where plaque builds up. At my last checkup, it was shown to me that I wasn't doing a good enough job of brushing there. So now I'm trying harder, but I have to be careful to not brush it too much lest I wear it down myself.

Last edited:

Vote:
There were a few things that I was doing at the time my orthodontist notified me about my gums receding to prevent it from getting worse and inevitably stopping it completely . I was oil pulling, (this is questionable on if this works or not) because there is no scientific evidence proving that it does. Oil pulling has been used in India for thousands of years and some people swear by it. It's believed to help remove toxins from your gums as well as helping gum recession (subtly).

The second thing I was using was essential oxygen mouth wash: https://essentialoxygen.com/, I still use it today and it's the only mouth wash I'll probably ever use because it uses H202 which is hydrogen peroxide and it doesn't contain any unhealthy ingredients such as "saccharin"(causes battler cancer in animals) which is found in products like Listerine . You will rarely find mouthwashes in stores that use H202, Why? I don't know. The hydrogen peroxide that's being used in their formula is food grade hydrogen peroxide (3% if i'm not mistaken) and if you don't know about the power of food grade hydrogen peroxide you should do a bit of research, It does a great job at killing bad bacteria and I honestly believe this is what stopped my gum recession from getting worse. The lady who created this mouth wash did so because of this very reason, due to her having gum recession as well as bleeding while flossing (this use to happen to me but not anymore), visit the website and you can read her story below. I was seeing a periodontist at the time I had my braces (recommend to me by my orthodontist) he was telling me that I had periodontal pockets due to the gum recession, (I no longer have these anymore).

The third thing I was using (which I plan on buying another one) is a waterpik https://www.waterpik.com/oral-health/, it goes down deep in your gums using water and helps remove any bad bacteria, food, etc... that dental floss cannot reach. According to clinical studies it's 51% more effective than dental floss. I purchased mines at Walgreens, (I don't know if you have one near you).

The forth thing is I only brush my teeth using Dr.Tung's Ionic Tooth brush (far better than any spin brush if you ask me), it reverses the polarity of the teeth (temporarily) causing plaque to easily be removed. Most people don't know about these ionic tooth brushes but they are very effective, here is a study published about it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11830911. Over over 30 million have been sold in Japan, Europe and the USA.

Last but not least I use Dr.Tung's "Stainless Steal Tongue Scraper" (plastic tongue scrapers tend to retain bacteria)

Those were the only three things I was (and still am) using and thus far my receding has stopped, no more pockets and it's been 5 years now.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: I have no affiliation with any of the recommended products, these are simply products that I use.

I used to use something very similar to the Waterpik. It was the same thing but made by a different company. I used that when I had braces and it was great for getting loose food from under the braces. It eventually wore out. Maybe it's time for another one.

I was using hydrogen peroxide as a rinse for awhile, but my hygienist told me that I shouldn't do that because it harms the teeth. I have to wonder about that. Some articles found online seem to indicate that it may be true: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/hydrogen-peroxide-mouthwash-harmful-teeth

I do have those periodontal pockets you mentioned. It would be nice to get those taken care of.

Vote:
Do you have any lip piercings?

Is this genetic predisposition? Do any of your ancestors have this?

Acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis? Trench mouth?

Is the tooth dead? Gums will recede from dead teeth, implants, and root-canal treated teeth.

Yes hydrogen peroxide can be very acidic depending on the concentration, look at its pH.
  • Dentin has a critical pH of 6.7.
  • Cementum also has a critical pH of 6.7.
  • Natural enamel (Hydroxylapatite) has a critical pH of 5.5.
  • Fluoride treated enamel (Fluorapatite) has a critical pH of 4.5.
  • Lactic acid has a pH of 3.51.
  • Lactic acid is largely what causes cavities, due to the fermentation of sugar and starch by naturaly occuring bacteria after 4-5 hours.

Your cementum is exposed so stay away from anything acidic, and clean your teeth/mouth within 1-4 hours of eating. Stay away from candy/soda.

Recent breakthroughs in the engineering oral mucosa have been made. Commercialization is on the way:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_mucosa_tissue_engineering

Strange your gums have receded so far. Very strange. Are you taking any drugs? Look up their side effects. e.g. warfarin causes issues with bone and cartilage synthesis.

Gotu Kola may help with tissue regeneration: https://examine.com/supplements/centella-asiatica/

Make sure you are consuming enough vitamins/nutrients as well to ensure your body is able to heal.

And my last quip is something I'm considering on doing to myself to restore extensive tissue loss on my palate due to dentist negligence. Through mechanisms (I forget names), local tissue damage causes the delivery of stem cells from nearby bone into the blood stream for repair of the damaged tissue. I suspect damaging the tissue, through a pin prick at multiple points to cause bleeding and adhesion of the resultant scar tissue, then covering that area with beeswax overnight to encourage scar tissue formation will result in tissue restoration. Done repetitively over time I suspect you could encourage the restoration of the original structure, or at least something largely similar to it. All of this theoretical...

Vote:
Isn't there some kind of material that could be applied to the base of the tooth to keep it covered. Maybe some kind of adhesive? It's hard to believe that fillings can be put in teeth, but they don't have anything that can simply cover over the exposed root of a tooth without removing skin from the roof of my mouth!
Beeswax. Dry the surface first before application, and make sure it is clean. Sugar/starch will be metabolized into lactic acid within 4-5 hours, and lactic acid causes cavities, so make sure the area is clean before applying the beeswax. Dry it with a hair dryer for example. And don't leave the beeswax on there longer than 8 hours or so to give the area a chance to remineralize and everything from your saliva when you sleep. Tissue growth is greatest during rest as well, so ensure beeswax is not there as you sleep to enhance the possibility of that tissue growing back. During the day this would protect your cementum from acidic foods/drinks you consume during the day like coffee or OJ. Beeswax does have a long history in dentistry... pharmacies often sell it, as do other outfits such as honey/candle stores or farmers markets. Don't use paraffin wax even if food-grade, the viscosity and consistency is inappropriate for this purpose. Beeswax is just like putty, it gets less viscous with warmth. AFAIK you are fine reusing the beeswax for some time it is antiseptic and never goes bad.

Yes... 'pinhole gum rejuvenation' as James Gordon mentioned seems like a foolish technique which would make the gum loss worse. A youtube commenter said the same thing. I've experienced multiple sliding "grafts" from my cheek down over a sinus perforation... they don't last long due to blood circulation issues, and they can only do so many grafts as that tissue largely does not grow back (at most 3 grafts).

And that last procedure I mentioned regarding inducing bleeding and beeswax... don't do that because you know... no evidence/studies on innocent Disney animals or anything. I shouldn't have mentioned it but I can't edit it now. I think it's brilliant though... I hope it works for my palette damage. But ya, don't do it. Oogie boogie.

I think you're very wise to cringe at the grafting procedure which takes tissue from the roof of your mouth (your hard palette). I lost tissue up there (the palette damage I just mentioned) due to infection from dental negligence and it causes unbearable pain at times. I need to carry water with me at all times to keep it irrigated as needed. Let me tell you, food/drink, air freshener, or certain chemicals at ppm levels touch there and it hurts like HE**.

That wikipedia link does detail graft transplants (from one part of the body to another), but what I was specifically referring to was the cell culture techniques (where they take your skin cells and somehow make oral tissue with it, I forget the details it's been a year or two). Looks like there is other stuff going on in that page... you asked for alternatives to gum tissue grafts and I answered as best as I could.

And eat your fruits and veggies!

Last edited:

Vote:
To erosion, I am in WI also and have the same thing. Gums receding and my front bottom tooth like yours is exposed way down. I have been running around trying to find a fix and what is causing this with no real good answers. Suggested gum grafts but it keeps happening and I am afraid it wouldn’t take. I never had braces and don’t over brush. If you know what of a good dentist that has helped you I would be interested.

Vote:
Beeswax. Dry the surface first before application, and make sure it is clean. Sugar/starch will be metabolized into lactic acid within 4-5 hours, and lactic acid causes cavities, so make sure the area is clean before applying the beeswax. Dry it with a hair dryer for example. And don't leave the beeswax on there longer than 8 hours or so to give the area a chance to remineralize and everything from your saliva when you sleep. Tissue growth is greatest during rest as well, so ensure beeswax is not there as you sleep to enhance the possibility of that tissue growing back. During the day this would protect your cementum from acidic foods/drinks you consume during the day like coffee or OJ. Beeswax does have a long history in dentistry... pharmacies often sell it, as do other outfits such as honey/candle stores or farmers markets. Don't use paraffin wax even if food-grade, the viscosity and consistency is inappropriate for this purpose. Beeswax is just like putty, it gets less viscous with warmth. AFAIK you are fine reusing the beeswax for some time it is antiseptic and never goes bad.

Yes... 'pinhole gum rejuvenation' as James Gordon mentioned seems like a foolish technique which would make the gum loss worse. A youtube commenter said the same thing. I've experienced multiple sliding "grafts" from my cheek down over a sinus perforation... they don't last long due to blood circulation issues, and they can only do so many grafts as that tissue largely does not grow back (at most 3 grafts).

And that last procedure I mentioned regarding inducing bleeding and beeswax... don't do that because you know... no evidence/studies on innocent Disney animals or anything. I shouldn't have mentioned it but I can't edit it now. I think it's brilliant though... I hope it works for my palette damage. But ya, don't do it. Oogie boogie.

I think you're very wise to cringe at the grafting procedure which takes tissue from the roof of your mouth (your hard palette). I lost tissue up there (the palette damage I just mentioned) due to infection from dental negligence and it causes unbearable pain at times. I need to carry water with me at all times to keep it irrigated as needed. Let me tell you, food/drink, air freshener, or certain chemicals at ppm levels touch there and it hurts like HE**.

That wikipedia link does detail graft transplants (from one part of the body to another), but what I was specifically referring to was the cell culture techniques (where they take your skin cells and somehow make oral tissue with it, I forget the details it's been a year or two). Looks like there is other stuff going on in that page... you asked for alternatives to gum tissue grafts and I answered as best as I could.

And eat your fruits and veggies!

Sorry about not getting back to you earlier. I haven't been watching this thread for quite awhile.

Thank you for all the information you presented me with. It's certainly worth a look. To answer your questions about the cause, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs. I don't know if any of my ancestors have had this problem or not. But my hygienist says it's from having braces, which I did when I was 36. I'm 46 now. I haven't had any further recession than I have had in the past 3 years, but recently the area where that tooth meets the gum started hurting whenever I applied pressure--either with my lip or my finger. I asked my dentist about it and he said that sensitivity in an area like that with excessive recession is not uncommon and that it might go away on its own, which it did. So far, so good.

Vote:
To erosion, I am in WI also and have the same thing. Gums receding and my front bottom tooth like yours is exposed way down. I have been running around trying to find a fix and what is causing this with no real good answers. Suggested gum grafts but it keeps happening and I am afraid it wouldn’t take. I never had braces and don’t over brush. If you know what of a good dentist that has helped you I would be interested.

I'm sorry, but I still haven't had any treatment for it so I wouldn't be able to refer you a good dentist for what you have. Have you been experiencing any discomfort from your condition?

Vote:
Yes, gums are sensitive and some of my lower teeth have been shifting as well. I really don’t know why I have the recession as well as gums thinning. No periodontal disease.

Vote:
Yes, gums are sensitive and some of my lower teeth have been shifting as well. I really don’t know why I have the recession as well as gums thinning. No periodontal disease.

Have you been to a dentist and gotten suggestions? I think a dentist is about the only person who could give you a very educated guess as to what is causing your condition. I know gums can thin out over time, but I suspect you're not very old. Not too many "Haleys" that are very old, and the "2002" in your username I suspect is your year of birth, making you only 15. The condition you describe seems very unusual for someone that young. But regardless of your age, I'd say that the advice of a dentist is called for here.

Vote:
I am going back to dentist in a few weeks. I have been to Perios, dentist, and ortho suggesting gum grafts, braces, to do nothing. So it is hard to know what to do. I am in late 40’s so I know age is a factor but my teeth/gums were fine up until a year ago.

Vote:
I am going back to dentist in a few weeks. I have been to Perios, dentist, and ortho suggesting gum grafts, braces, to do nothing. So it is hard to know what to do. I am in late 40’s so I know age is a factor but my teeth/gums were fine up until a year ago.

I'm in my late 40s as well, so it's possible that age is a factor. Also, being a woman seems to be a factor too, according to an article I found that says in part: "Hormonal changes. Fluctuations in female hormone levels during a woman's lifetime, such as in puberty, pregnancy, and menopause, can make gums more sensitive and more vulnerable to gum recession."
https://www.webmd.com/oral-health/guide/receding_gums_causes-treatments#1

Vote:
Thanks for following up. I suppose age and hormones are a factor. I am looking into a holistic dentist and going to try that. Started using Closys toothpaste and mouthwash to see if that helps also.

Vote:

Ask a Question