Is this much erosion of gum normal?

I have a single tooth that has more gum erosion than any of the others. I emailed my hygienist who is 30 miles away and told her about it just 2 weeks after my 6 month appointment. The reason I'm so concerned about it is because she had pointed out that the tooth with the most gum erosion had a pocket of 6mm, and it the 6th tooth from the left on the bottom. But look at the 3rd tooth visible from the left and you can see it's much worse. Almost as much root is visible as there is tooth!

Anyway, she responded that she'd have to know exactly which tooth it was, so I replied by sending the picture of it so she could see. I got no reply, so I sent it again and got no reply. My next appointment is 5 months away and I don't want to wait that long to get an answer.

So what do you all think? Should I be concerned? It just seems strange that the 3rd tooth has more erosion than the 6th, and yet I was told the 6th one is the worst. Could this much erosion of the gum have happened just 2 weeks since my appointment?

Attachments

• SDC12619.JPG
    SDC12619.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 505
By viewing your snap, I would advice that Overzealous brushing can cause damage to teeth and gums.Note that the gums have receded and the roots, which are now showing, are also being abraded. You don't have to worry about that, but they can be indicative of periodontal disease. If this is the case, there are many treatment options such as simple cleanings or scaling and root planning. Make sure you are brushing not scrubbing.

Vote:
By viewing your snap, I would advice that Overzealous brushing can cause damage to teeth and gums.Note that the gums have receded and the roots, which are now showing, are also being abraded. You don't have to worry about that, but they can be indicative of periodontal disease. If this is the case, there are many treatment options such as simple cleanings or scaling and root planning. Make sure you are brushing not scrubbing.

Thank you for responding to my post!
I used to have periodontal disease in the past, but my hygienist has been telling me lately that I've been doing a good job for the last few years. She's noted gum recession but thought it was normal with age, and also because of the fact that I had braces from when I was 34 until I was 36. I'm 45 now and still use retainers. I also have decalcification of teeth along the gum line and plenty of fillings. I didn't realize that the roots are being abraded. My hygienist hasn't said anything about that. But that corner tooth seems to have the most gum recession and she didn't mention that at all, and now it has me concerned. Do you have any idea why that one would especially have so much more recession?

Vote:

Ask a Question