Advanced periodontal from insulin use. Is it hopeless?

Hi, I have a question on behalf of my mom. She is a type 2 diabetic and has been using insulin for the past 30 something years. Around two years ago she started feeling like there was food stuck between her teeth, she later found out it was periodontal disease from longterm insulin use/resistance. Her gaps are pretty large, visible to the eye even.

For those of you who are familiar with periodontal stemming from insulin resistance, is there any hope to slow or stop this from progressing? If yes, which treatments/solutions did you implement? She's gotten two opinions so far:

Dentistry #1 had state of the art tech and recommended fillers (I think) but they also gave me false info about a procedure (that I didn't need) to extract money.

Dentistry #2 had older tech but seem to be reliable (from my experience), and they said there was not much they can do.

Other than this she's always kept up with her dental hygiene and still does. She always brushes after every meal and constantly flossing with one of those pick things because her gums are such a nuisance. She's also been using a night card recently, it seems like it sort of relieves her as well. (Idk if all that was necessary but I wanted to include it just in case.)

Thank you for any and all advice

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
My best advice is for your mother to control her diabetes as best as possible. She will need more frequent periodontal maintenance visits to prolong her gum attachments. I can't give you any treatment plan advice without proper exam and x-rays to view the amount of bony attachments she has.

Vote:

Ask a Question