Periodontal treatment

yesterday I had to undergo root planning / debridement - a treatment I've been enduring every 3 months for the past 5 years and have always had a local anaesthetic with the procedure. Yesterday however, I was told by my dentist that NHS no longer covers the cost of the local anaesthetic and that I would have to go through the treatment without it, or pay for it privately. As I am a pensioner receiving only a state pension, I had no choice but to sit through the excruciating pain. During the past 3 months I've been on 3 courses of penicillin for tooth and gum abscesses, I am fed up with the pain and discomfort and asked the dentist if she could remove my remaining, loose, ugly and misplaced teeth and I was told that the NHS wouldn't cover the cost of removal of teeth without a medical need ? and if I wanted it done, I would have to pay for that privately too. There is no point in changing my dentist again - as I've changed 4 times in 4 years. I also went for an assessment at Guys and St. Thomas hospital last year and received a letter 3 months after the appointment saying that I didn't qualify for treatment. No explanation was given, but I suspect that the funds would be considered a waste if spent on a pensioner.
I am devastated that I have worked hard for 48 years, always paid my dues and despite being a young divorcee with 2 boys to raise on my own, not once did I claim benefits, or ask for help. But now that I am retired and finally have the time to do the things I enjoy, instead I have turned into a loner and never go out, all due to major complexes about the state of my mouth. Thanks to the NHS - I guess this is my life now.

i can feel your pain in your post.

How many teeth have you got left?
how much will it cost to remove the teeth?

I only have 3 missing teeth, so practically a full mouth. I haven't got around to getting a quote to have them removed, but a set of false teeth with built in contoured gums would cost approximately £1000.

Vote:
The two top and 2 bottom ones are the worse looking teeth, but as I can't afford to better the look with Caps - let alone implants. The only choice would be is to have all 29 remaining teeth removed.

Vote:

Ask a Question