Advanced GD and loose teeth

I have a very recent diagnosis of moderate to advanced gum disease with deep pockets, and 4 loose lower teeth with considerable bone loss and gum recession in that region. I've been scheduled for my first deep clean in a cpl of days.

I know I have a poor prognosis regarding the saving of these teeth and that I'm looking at partial dentures soon but I'm very anxious to get this under control as much as I can to prevent things worsening elsewhere in my mouth.

Despite regular dentist trips and hygiene visits it seems genetics are not on my side (according to my dentist) with mum, dad and sister all starting to lose their teeth in their 40s due to a particular health condition as well as gum disease. I'm now 41. They've all lost their molars though, mine are the lower front.

Pretty scared the teeth will fall out during the cleaning or get worse. They move when I tap them and when wiggled but sometimes they seem to firm up and barely move at all.

I don't really know why I'm posting I just have so many thoughts and questions and feeling pretty low about it all. I've always been to the dentist and the hygienist so all come as a bit of a shock.

Can there be any improvement? Could splinting help?

Thank you.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

The first step would be to get that deep cleaning done. If there is an associated medical condition, make sure that medical condition is well managed.
Usually the teeth won't fall out during the deep cleaning. Although it sounds like the 4 lower teeth will need to be removed at some stage, as part of the management of the disease. In certain cases splinting can be used to stabilize teeth, but if the bone loss is too severe, no amount of splinting will save these teeth.

Vote:

Ask a Question