Abscess or Sinus Infection? Both?

Hi Everyone,
I guess I"m just looking for some comfort :). I am quite worried. I have basically not been to a dentist in almost 30 years. At the time, I had about 4 root canals done and a few cavities filled – I was about 18 or 19. For most of the years following, I didn't have too many issues (I think I may have gone once to a dentist in 2005 or 2006 to have a cavity filled) and I've tried to be careful with oral health.

About a year or so ago I started to see some fillings fall out from both my right and left side but couldn’t go to a dentist because I had no insurance and no money to pay out of pocket.

About a few months ago, I did get some insurance (crappy as it is). About a month ago, a back molar (the one next to the wisdom tooth) on the upper left side broke (a piece of it about halfway across the tooth and down near the gum – there isn’t a hole that exposes the gum). I called a dentist closest to me (I don’t have a car and there aren’t many buses in my area so I’m limited with transportation) and made an appointment but they could only get me in on January 20. I was feeling fine, no pain or anything, so I thought it was OK to wait (being very careful with what I eat, no crunchy stuff, etc). On Christmas day (2 days ago), the tooth right next to the broken one began to ache. It’s not excruciating pain and it mainly hurts when I bite down on it so it’s tolerable. I’m taking Advil (which is helping) as well as doing salt water rinses and apple cider vinegar rinses (which also help). I’m now trying to find another dentist that will take me earlier than the 20th, as the other dental office claims they don’t have an earlier appointment and I don’t want to risk the pain getting worse, since it just started.

Here’s the thing, though. About two months ago, I started getting some sinus pressure and pain on the same side of my face. I suffer from chronic migraines so I thought it was related to that. It was like a dull (but persistent) ache around my left cheekbone and across the back near the ear and around the upper jawline (and sometimes the lower jawline also), as well as sometimes pressure on the right side (though much less severe). I went to a doctor and he said I had allergies and gave me a prescription for a nasal spray (which didn’t help) and antibiotics (but I didn’t take them, as he said to only take them if I started to get a fever and feel really bad but that never happened). The sinus pressure/pain went away after about 2 weeks. But earlier this week it returned (though it's more sinus pressure than actual pain and more localized around the upper left hand side under my cheekbone/near my nose and it's on both sides). It was a few days afterwards that the tooth pain started.

I’m really praying that it’s not going to be a big issue and that it’s not an abscess. My gut feeling is that the broken tooth is going to have to be pulled (which I am terrified of) and that maybe the tooth pain I’m getting in the tooth next to it (which, as far as I know, is a healthy tooth – I really don’t know what is or is not healthy anymore since I had all my heavy dental work done 30 years ago) is really coming from the broken tooth, as they lay right next to one another (and there is what feels like a slight crack right on that side that borders the healthy tooth).

The last root canal I had was in 1988 or 1989. Somebody please tell me that procedures have improved in the last 30 years so that it's not as much of an ordeal anymore :-D.

Tam

You sound like me! I realize that this is an old msg., but I'm hoping that someone sees it. I could have written this. The details are very similar, except that my problem is on the right side of my face, and I'm older, have broken, worn down teeth; my last root canal was about 30 years ago (those teeth later needed to be extracted). Also, I do have dentist (pay out of pocket); but he's bleeding me dry. I am getting over two respiratory infections, one on top of the other; have asthma, too. Wasn't on antibiotics, as doc determined that infections were viral. Now, tooth acting up, but also, mild pain in face, and also, severe, intermittent pain in both broken tooth and in adjacent teeth. I also have migraines! Weather has been weird, so I thought it was that... (I mean, my migraines act up with the weather, along whith arthritis). I had to miss choir this AM... then, pain went away. Feel as though TN (or nerve on that side) affected, too. Can't figure out what's going on, but I do know the broken tooth has to come out, anyway. Was hoping I could wait longer, as I'm broke. Now, not sure what to do... how long to wait?

Vote:
Solutions
Sorry to hear you've been so unwell. Are your lymph nodes on the side the tooth is on tender to the touch and do you have a fever? If it's the tooth needing a root canal then the tip of the root above the tooth would be sore. I'm sure you remember from when you had the other root canals.

The thing is that what you are describing could be down to the bite. If you have a broken tooth that could have upset the bite and the alignment of the jaw. Bite problems can cause nerve pain, migraines, face pain etc. Is it worse in the morning? (You mentioned it went away during the day). If so you could try a nightguard to see if that relieves it at night.

Vote:
Sorry to hear you've been so unwell. Are your lymph nodes on the side the tooth is on tender to the touch and do you have a fever? If it's the tooth needing a root canal then the tip of the root above the tooth would be sore. I'm sure you remember from when you had the other root canals.

The thing is that what you are describing could be down to the bite. If you have a broken tooth that could have upset the bite and the alignment of the jaw. Bite problems can cause nerve pain, migraines, face pain etc. Is it worse in the morning? (You mentioned it went away during the day). If so you could try a nightguard to see if that relieves it at night.

Vote:
Hi, Yes, I know it's both my bite and I already use Nightguard (unless I fall asleep, first). : ( It's upper tooth, so I'm not sure about lymph nodes... no fever. I am not experiencing pain, now; just some tenderness. I know that tooth I'm concerned about (which is broken) has to come out, at some point-- just wondering when? Trying to ascertain if abscess, migraine, sinus, or what? If bite, that's ongoing-- for years, now. I just don't have the money to do extensive repairs, all at once. I have fragile, ground- down teeth. A lot of ongoing stress. Just trying to figure out what's going on. The pain last night was excruciating-- then it went away. Weird. I did have some cheek/face tenderness, too. Not now, though. Am also having email problems, so I may not receive replies straightaway. Is it possible to bruise a tooth temporarily? Or does it mean that I ought to have it ought right away? It takes me forever to recuperate from an extraction (about 6 wks.), so I'm waiting for the "right time", both with other things I need to deal with, and with money being tight. Thx.

Vote:
Solutions
Yes it's possible to bruise a tooth and then for it to recover completely. It's happened to me several times with a crowned tooth that's had root treatment. But if your tooth has broken then it could be that it's knocked the bite that step further. You should try to keep a pain diary of exactly what you do each day and then see when the pain starts.

Vote:
Yes it's possible to bruise a tooth and then for it to recover completely. It's happened to me several times with a crowned tooth that's had root treatment. But if your tooth has broken then it could be that it's knocked the bite that step further. You should try to keep a pain diary of exactly what you do each day and then see when the pain starts.

OK. I am keeping a mental log (already keep other logs-- too much going on) o_O, and I have noticed that acidic food (like tomato- based sauces) make the pain worse. However, the worst of it seems to be over, pretty much. I still feel it, but it's not unbearable. And sometimes, I don't feel it at all. I have several other medical conditions/appt's to keep track of, and little money; so I'm trying to figure out what to prioritize, at this point. I am waiting for "a good time" to get this broken tooth out. I am wondering how long I can wait? This is a bad time for me... wondering if I can wait about 2 months? The dentist had put something on it that was supposed to numb the nerve until the summer (didn't work)-- but I think I'll need to have it taken care of before that. Nevertheless, I don't think it's an emergency, now. I am waiting a few days to see if the severe, stabbing pain returns. So far, it hasn't. Thx.

Vote:
Solutions
You can wait a long time provided it's not infected. If you have an infection and it's an upper tooth then it's more risky to leave it in for too long because it's closer to the brain and eyes. An infection also reduces bone around the root which isn't great for the surrounding teeth or can spread apparently. You can usually delay the process by taking antibiotics which your dentist can prescribe. I'm sure you can wait a couple of months but it may affect your immune system making you feel really grotty and more prone to viruses etc. You do seem to have been waiting quite a while already though. I didn't think an extraction was too expensive but at least ask your dentist for antibiotics.

Vote:
You can wait a long time provided it's not infected. If you have an infection and it's an upper tooth then it's more risky to leave it in for too long because it's closer to the brain and eyes. An infection also reduces bone around the root which isn't great for the surrounding teeth or can spread apparently. You can usually delay the process by taking antibiotics which your dentist can prescribe. I'm sure you can wait a couple of months but it may affect your immune system making you feel really grotty and more prone to viruses etc. You do seem to have been waiting quite a while already though. I didn't think an extraction was too expensive but at least ask your dentist for antibiotics.

Well as it turns out, right after I wrote that, I had a tomato- based meal, and I hit the roof with pain! So I assume that the pulp is exposed, or something? It duplicates the pain I experienced 2 days ago. So now, I am going to call dentist tomorrow, and get app't for maybe next week (I have two other app'ts for other things I need to keep, first). I recently had xray for that tooth, and they said it wasn't infected... I can only imagine that subsequently, it cracked more or something...? I really don't know. I had mild pain before, but the severe pain is from the past 2 days or so. The pain went away yesterday, though. Very strange. I am also getting over 2 respiratory infections; I thought this might be sinus, but now I think it is the tooth. My doc already said that my infections were viral-- not bacterial. I don't want to have to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Thx.

Vote:
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.
Well as it turns out, right after I wrote that, I had a tomato- based meal, and I hit the roof with pain! So I assume that the pulp is exposed, or something? It duplicates the pain I experienced 2 days ago. So now, I am going to call dentist tomorrow, and get app't for maybe next week (I have two other app'ts for other things I need to keep, first). I recently had xray for that tooth, and they said it wasn't infected... I can only imagine that subsequently, it cracked more or something...? I really don't know. I had mild pain before, but the severe pain is from the past 2 days or so. The pain went away yesterday, though. Very strange. I am also getting over 2 respiratory infections; I thought this might be sinus, but now I think it is the tooth. My doc already said that my infections were viral-- not bacterial. I don't want to have to take antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Thx.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

OK... Will do... as soon as I'm up to it <g>. Thx.

Vote:

Ask a Question