Have swollen abscess, pain before swollen, no pain now

Have abscess that started as toothache, very painful untill i woke up and it was swollen...but no pain. Have been taking antibiotics and tylenol to help treat. Should i seek emergency help?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
How did you get antibiotics? Did a doctor/dentist prescribe it to you? You should not treat abscesses or infections on your own. When antibiotics gets misused, you can get resistance to them. Try to get seen by a dentist as soon as you can.

Vote:
Previous prescription for same issue earlier this year, was advised i could stop early, still had half left.they were dated good till March of 2019. And will see dentist as soon as possible.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Previous prescription for same issue earlier this year, was advised i could stop early, still had half left.they were dated good till March of 2019. And will see dentist as soon as possible.
NEVER take left over antibiotics. You should always finish the original bottle as directed. Left over antibiotics do not have the capacity to eliminate the target infection and the remaining bacteria will mutate to resist the therapy. Oral antibiotics are not strong enough to kill every bacteria in a few doses. If it is, then it would be too toxic for your body to handle. I give 10 days worth and specifically tell the patient to finish regardless if you "feel better."

Vote:

Ask a Question