yellow/brown saliva

Hi, Im 20yr old

My wisdom tooth came in last year on my upper left side. For some reason my whole left face was swollen really badly. I went to the dentist and he gave me antibiotics. I took them for 1-2 weeks, they didn't help much with the swelling, but eventually the pain went away aswell as the swelling.

But ever since then, some kind of yellowish/brownish leakage occurs from the upper left side of my mouth where the tooth came in, and I can feel a tiny opening with my tongue, where the tooth came in(outter side) and im pretty sure thats the source of it since that spot is always bitter. I've had xrays done and the dentist could not see any openings what so ever.

the taste is very sour/bitter.

Some things I've noticed when the leakage occurs:

I never have to clean my nose a lot, and its never filled with any "boogers"
When I do blow my nose the bitter stuff comes from the same spot, upper left.
rarely there is also leakage that is brownish/red which i think is blood, but it never hurts.

I'm planning to go see a periodontist, but first decided to try google.

Thank you,
If anyone has some answers it would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds a little bit like post nasal drip(I think thats the name). I have polyps in my sinuses and at times this causes some kind of fluid to run down the back of my throat from my sinuses. At the moment I'm on a nasal spray to help control this called nasonex.

Vote:
Good idea see a periodontist. Sounds unusual but based on your description there could be a communication to your sinus. The foul taste can be associated with a low grade smoldering type of infection. X-rays don't show everything, it sometimes requires quite a bit of interpretation.
I think you will find that once there is a diagnosis the solution will be clear.
Best of luck

Vote:
Yellow saliva can be caused by a number of factors, including bacteria or acid in the mouth. It can be a sign of other problems as well, such as infection or acid reflux. These conditions may require treatment by a doctor or dentist.

The presence of yellow saliva early in the morning may result from the buildup of bacteria on the teeth, tongue or other tissues in the mouth. This often results in halitosis, or bad breath, and can increase the likelihood of tooth decay. Bacteria in the mouth can usually be controlled by good oral hygiene practices, such as brushing and flossing regularly. Brushing or scraping the tongue is especially important for halitosis sufferers. If these measures are not sufficient, a dentist may be able to provide other suggestions for getting rid of the bacteria that cause halitosis and yellow saliva.

Last edited:

Vote:
SurgiDent

AOA, Hi, without proper chechup and targetted radiography, yet doubtful though not misleading, The sequence of your condition might've been as follows
1. dental decay-caries
2. severe pain in a tooth and associated area for some days and then Pus starts collecting along with friability of the area surrounded by the pus in the roots of the tooth
3. Swelling developing suddenly long after the severe pain had gone
4. the swelling goes down and the yellow stuff (pus and blood) starts flowing out of that opening you described
5. dull pain in the area
6. the tooth may feel elevated campared to the neighbouring ones
&
7. Tx is either extraction or endodontics along with removal of the pus route.:cool:;)

Vote:

Ask a Question