Why do my teeth hurt when I bite down? It started a few days ago.

So a few days ago I was having dinner and I was chewing something and I immediately felt a bit weird. Now when I try to chew something one of my premolar/molar teeth on the upper right side hurts when I bite down. Also the gums around that area hurt when I push my tongue against them.
I've attached a video link that better shows where the pain is. The area where I touch down with the pick is where it seems to be the most tender. The gums hurt when I touch that area but also its painful when I bite down in that area.

I am 26M, I don't smoke, don't drink, and have no medical conditions.
I'm planning to make an appointment with the dentist in a few days.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Maybe you jammed some food in there and did some mild damage. If so, it'll heal within a few days.
Another possibility is a tooth fracture - quite unlikely in an unfilled tooth, but can happen. Your dentist can use a FracFinder and transillumination to see if this is likely.

Vote:
it sounds like you might be experiencing dental sensitivity or a dental issue in the specific area you mentioned. Here are a few possible reasons for the pain you're feeling when biting down:

Dental Decay/Cavity: A cavity or dental decay could be causing the pain. When you bite down, the pressure might be exacerbating the pain by putting additional stress on the affected tooth.

Cracked Tooth: If a tooth is cracked or fractured, biting down can cause discomfort or pain. Cracked teeth can be sensitive to pressure and temperature changes.

Gum Infection or Abscess: Pain when touching the gums and when biting down could be a sign of a gum infection or abscess. These infections can cause localized pain and discomfort.

Dental Restoration Issues: If you have a dental filling, crown, or other restoration in that area, it's possible that it has become dislodged, damaged, or has an issue, leading to pain when biting.

Gum Recession: If your gums have receded, the sensitive root surface of your tooth might be exposed, causing pain when pressure is applied.

Sinus Infection: In some cases, a sinus infection can cause upper teeth to become sensitive to pressure, leading to pain when biting.

It's important to schedule an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible to diagnose the cause of your pain. Your dentist will conduct a thorough examination, possibly including X-rays, to determine the underlying issue and recommend appropriate treatment. In the meantime, you can try to avoid chewing on that side of your mouth and practice good oral hygiene to help alleviate discomfort.

Vote:

Ask a Question