Teeth hurts on touch but no infection?

Solutions
About four days ago, one of my bottom teeth started hurting. If left untouched there is a dull persistent pain. But if i so much as touch it, it hurts like hell (maybe a 6/10 on a pain scale).

I went to the dentist, did multiple xray. He confirms there is no infection. He suspected it might be due to grinding of teeth, but I did not experience much pain grinding since I never had an issue with that before and the teeth in particular isn't touching much with the top set of teeth anyways.

He suggest grinding down the top of the teeth a hair to bring it in line with the neighbouring teeth but I didn't opt for that since my insurance did not cover it.

Visually, there seems to be absolutely nothing wrong, no swelling, redness or any indicator why this pain might occur.

I had no accidents or injury prior.

Any advice in what I should do?

Solutions
Thanks for the reply. No he did not test with a cold spray. I will only be able to head to the office and get the x-rays early next week since ill be out of town. Is there anything I should do to mitigate the pain or at least control it for a bit?

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
Thanks for the reply. No he did not test with a cold spray. I will only be able to head to the office and get the x-rays early next week since ill be out of town. Is there anything I should do to mitigate the pain or at least control it for a bit?

When you drink hot/cold drink does it trigger the pain? Does the pain wake you up at night?

Vote:
Solutions
When you drink hot/cold drink does it trigger the pain? Does the pain wake you up at night?

Thanks for the reply.
On the very first day (Tue) an adjacent tooth (canine tooth) was extremely sensitive to hot water. But this sensitivity faded the very next day and the pain started to radiate from this very tooth now. No the pain doesn't wake me up. I can kind of forget the pain until i touch/eat or brush against the tool.

Vote:

A_s

Solutions
Thanks for the reply.
On the very first day (Tue) an adjacent tooth (canine tooth) was extremely sensitive to hot water. But this sensitivity faded the very next day and the pain started to radiate from this very tooth now. No the pain doesn't wake me up. I can kind of forget the pain until i touch/eat or brush against the tool.

It is hard to say exactly what the pain was due to unless there is a thorough history and examination done including cold sprays, electric pulp test, x-rays, any mobility, previous history of the tooth, fracfinder, etc.
Do you grind your teeth at night? or clench them in the morning? does your jaw feel sore in the morning? Do you use night guard?
Does the tooth have a filling? Does the tooth have decay?
It could be due to the filling, fracture (due to clenching/grinding), pulp, and the apical tissues of the root, or a combination of them, etc.

Last edited:

Vote:
Solutions
It is hard to say exactly what the pain was due to unless there is a thorough history and examination done including cold sprays, electric pulp test, x-rays, any mobility, previous history of the tooth, fracfinder, etc.
Do you grind your teeth at night? or clench them in the morning? does your jaw feel sore in the morning? Do you use night guard?
Does the tooth have a filling? Does the tooth have decay?
It could be due to the filling, fracture (due to clenching/grinding), pulp, and the apical tissues of the root, or a combination of them, etc.

I understand. I will get a second opinion from another dentist next week.

And no to all the above question.

Is there a recommended set of test you guys can recommend that I can request the second dentist to look into? I am afraid he would simply say there is nothing he can see as well from the xray..

Really appreciate all the advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20191026_224959_029.jpg
    IMG_20191026_224959_029.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 139

Vote:

Ask a Question