What will I feel if I don't use anesthesia...

I am 42 and am needing one of my wisdom teeth removed. To preface, all of my wisdom teeth came in straight since I had extra room due to removal of other teeth for orthodontia when I was a child. No dentist has ever recommended removing them since they are healthy and cause no pain or other problems.

Recently, part of one of these teeth broke off. They tried to fill it, but it only lasted about a month. The recommendation is to go ahead and have it removed. The oral surgeon said the procedure won't last more than a half hour, from sitting in the chair to leaving. Extra half hour if I choose to have IV anesthesia due to recovery time.

I would prefer not to do the IV, just have a local. I'm looking for some description of what I will and won't feel during the process. They talk about pressure, grinding sounds, etc, but not really pain. I'm not an anxious patient; frankly more anxious about anesthesia side affects like lingering grogginess, deliriousness, and vomiting. Surgeon thinks my attitude suggests I could do well without it.

Thoughts? Anyone have a more concrete description of the experience?

Ask a Question