Tooth needing RCT


Joined
May 6, 2021
Messages
3
A nerve died in a molar and the dentist I saw gave me a referral to a specialist. It took four months to get an appointment, at which I was told I have a chronic infection and bone loss. I cannot be seen for another four-and-a-half months. If I have a flare-up then I would be able to get emergency treatment. Both the referring dentist and specialist had a cavalier attitude to my concern about developing an abscess - don't worry, we can drain it and put you on antibiotics. I was informed that when treatment commences it may be that the tooth is no longer viable and unable to be saved. So I may end up with a chronic infection, no tooth and with bone loss, unable to have an implant. Certainly, RCT on this tooth will be technically difficult, and there is a problem with calcification, and I am not the practice's only patient, but untreated, things will only get worse.

One other option offered to me was to go somewhere and have the tooth removed and have an implant inserted. I have almost reached the heart-breaking decision to do this - before I lose too much bone. Some of you have mentioned bone grafts but I don't think my health insurance or wallet could afford it.
What do others think about my situation - am I being unreasonable?
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
9
Solutions
1
Why is it taking so long to get treatment? Do you live in the states? I lost a back molar last year due to bone resorption. They pulled it out and did a bone graft. I did not get an implant because it is a back tooth and no one can see it. Have you seen a periodontist? Personally I'd want that thing out as it's nothing but trouble and it's baffling to me the doctors minimizing as abscess. That can turn into a very serious situation. Second opinions for sure. Best of luck!
 
Joined
May 6, 2021
Messages
3
Thanks for your reply. I live in NSW but apparently my situation is not considered by the endodontist to be serious enough to warrant treatment any earlier than mid-September. I now read that antibiotics are ineffective against root canal infections and that is another worry. I see no option but to have the tooth removed before my health gets any worse.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
May 6, 2021
Messages
3
Will try to get an emergency appointment on Wednesday with a dentist who may be able to help, whether it's by doing the RCT or extraction - which by no is my preference. I have sacked the previous practice.
Regasrds
Lynne
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top