Tooth extraction, band and dry socket (good times)

Hi all,

I didn't know where to turn with my issue so hope it's ok to post here.

I'll try and keep this brief (edit: I failed), but here's the current story:

Made appointment with dentist for a vertically cracked tooth, occasional pain when biting on something hard but not too bad. (diagnosed by two other dentists one and two years previous but wasn't bad enough to do anything about at the time). Four days before my appointment it got very bad quickly. A lot of pain to the point I rang NHS 111 to get an emergency appointment. The NHS dentist said the back two teeth were vertically cracked drilled in to the first tooth and possibly the second to check, found decay, used a temporary filling and told me to tell my dentist what he had done.

Went for the appointment with my dentist, I had paid privately to have a white filling (£200) on the molar. He looked at the tooth and said I could either have root canal, have it removed or try a band. I had to decide on the spot and I asked his opinion and he said it's hard to say but we could try a band as it might save the tooth. He put the band on and did the white filling. I went away and the pain returned as the local anesthetic wore off but thought it would go after a few days.

I found that I couldn't close my teeth at all, the dentist hadn't shaped the filling to allow me to rest my teeth properly so my mouth was always open, I went back and he re-shaped it so I could close my teeth again.

After returning home once again I quickly noticed my tongue was catching and bleeding on the band, it was very sharp and cutting it. I had to then return again to have that filed down.

A few days later of pain killers, sleepless nights (I've had nothing but them for over two weeks now) and it not seeming to be getting any better I returned. He said it's probably better if it was extracted and he thought that would be the case. So he pulled it out with some wrenching, and sent me off. Things were still painful and I'm still unable to sleep, constant paracetamol and Ibuprofen but I left it for another 5 days to see if it would settle, by the third day I had a nasty taste coming from it along with it constantly aching. With immaculate cleaning and several warm saline rinses it settled down enough that I could concentrate on other things. Overnight however it would build up again and wake me in the early hours of the morning and not settle for hours (lots of mouth wash cleaning and salt).

I went back today because I felt that progress was very slow and the pain was too much, he lay me back and said I had dry socket, filled it with the clove mix (no rinsing and I had green/black gunk in there and possibly some remains of my lunch) so now I'm worried he's packed this on top of stuff that's going to cause an infection. Right now it's the best it's been, still aches but nothing like what it has. He said to leave it in and to come back if I wanted on Friday (4 days) but it should be fine. Nothing about taking this clove thing out, I guess it's just left in to dissolve??

Should I be worried and does this all seem standard stuff? I have an expensive extracted tooth, severe pain for over two weeks and even now I'm not 100% sure this is over with the packing without cleaning.

This is all for the first tooth, the very back molar (the one next to it) I mentioned a few times but he didn't seem to acknowledge it, so now I'm worried I have a temporary filling from the NHS dentist that's going to cause me problems in the future.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm run down, anxious and fear things getting even worse before they get better. Thanks for any advice.

Ask a Question