To Brace of Not to Brace?

My daughter has been wearing removable braces for a while and is now moving up to fixed ("train line") braces. This'll means having 4 teeth (molars) removed. When the teeth are removed will that space remain blank for forever, or do other teeth move into the empty space?

Another pic as requested. I've had a good look inside and the only "problem" visible appears to the incisors/canines behind the front two. As she gets older and the jaw gets bigger will these make space naturally. What would happen if we delay the extraction for a little longer, say for another year and then make a decision. Is there likely to be any adverse affect of delaying it, or is there a cut-off of when you have to have extractions by?

Attachments

• Teeth2.JPG
    Teeth2.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 327

Vote:
Another pic as requested. I've had a good look inside and the only "problem" visible appears to the incisors/canines behind the front two. As she gets older and the jaw gets bigger will these make space naturally. What would happen if we delay the extraction for a little longer, say for another year and then make a decision. Is there likely to be any adverse affect of delaying it, or is there a cut-off of when you have to have extractions by?
Fantastic, appliance has worked well. You can see palatal expansion. I can see a semilunar line inside palate (of appliance). Jaw got enough space now. I was seeking for this good condition. Now with fixed braces the tooth will be pulled in alignment.
Palate got enough expansion. And now you can see, anterior side still space is NOT sufficient to fit both CANINE & LATERAL INSICOR in such a Small gap.
Hence 1st premolar need to be extracted (it is a basic rule of Orthodontic, you may ask others too- you may search online about any available Orthodintist-- www.lybrate.com. www.zocdoc.com).
After getting gap the fixed braces will pull it in proper alignment. But she need ELASTICS too. SPACE MAINTAINERS too with braces, to let canine pulled outward.
Yes, my advice- for satisfaction take secondary opinion. Just visit any other dentist (appliance removed). Get prescription for only showing patient. Later you can take snap and show me.
I tell you, what other dentist says. For sure , diagnosis will be same. Then after proper assurance you may proceed with next step of Treatment.
There is time. Ask this dentist, you shall not be able to attend given appointment. Hence in September (or as you wish- time taken to visit other dentist), the treatment can begin.
(But my view- this dentist is ok. He has done well with appliance).
Please go through given websites. Put Orthodontist in search, (experience must check), select location. Any one you may visit. (I suggest-- Don't Tell new dentist about past treatment. It will give us fresh view of new dentist. Easy to correlate).

Vote:
Solutions
This won't resolve naturally. IMO the adverse effect in delaying it is that your daughter will have to wear braces at an age when she will be more self conscious than 13.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
This won't resolve naturally. IMO the adverse effect in delaying it is that your daughter will have to wear braces at an age when she will be more self conscious than 13.
Good luck. You'll only stir up Raj. I did all I could but the parent would prefer to listen to his incorrect ideas.

Vote:

Some free friendly advice - you should consider MattKW's advice. He is a verified dentist whereas Mr. Raj is not a dentist or an orthodontist and probably does not work in dentistry.
Nothing wrong with wanting to help others until you start giving out "fake advice". It can be extremely harmful in certain cases so just be aware and good luck!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Some free friendly advice - you should consider MattKW's advice. He is a verified dentist whereas Mr. Raj is not a dentist or an orthodontist and probably does not work in dentistry.
Nothing wrong with wanting to help others until you start giving out "fake advice". It can be extremely harmful in certain cases so just be aware and good luck!
Thank you, KVMCruces :). Raj has been rather off-putting and volatile.

Vote:
Thank you for all for the great advice. Sorry if I've stirred up a hornets nest!

We've been to the dentist again who is managing her care, and who referred us to the orthodontist, for a chat. The dentist confers with MattKW's advice, and a bit of Raj too. We could delay it for a bit longer but she will have to have the extractions eventually and delaying it will only postpone the inevitable. The dentist also pointed out that getting it done earlier has a better chance of success. So we've agreed to go ahead with the treatment over the summer.

One question we're still not clear about. After the extractions the other teeth "should" re-align into the gap left. Is that really the case (how does it happen) or will she be left with a gap that will then require further treatment, e.g. an implant?

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you for all for the great advice. Sorry if I've stirred up a hornets nest!

We've been to the dentist again who is managing her care, and who referred us to the orthodontist, for a chat. The dentist confers with MattKW's advice, and a bit of Raj too. We could delay it for a bit longer but she will have to have the extractions eventually and delaying it will only postpone the inevitable. The dentist also pointed out that getting it done earlier has a better chance of success. So we've agreed to go ahead with the treatment over the summer.

One question we're still not clear about. After the extractions the other teeth "should" re-align into the gap left. Is that really the case (how does it happen) or will she be left with a gap that will then require further treatment, e.g. an implant?
The braces will move the remaining teeth into the gaps; the teeth don't just move by themselves. By extracting the premolars, the orthodontist is making space for this movement.
You didn't stir up a hornet's nest; that was Raj's doing. He seemed to have some ideas about dentistry, but was not a dentist. His "advice" was false and misleading. That's a risk you take when entering these fora. I didn't mind sparring with him a bit at first, but he was getting you confused, and spoiling this forum.

Vote:

Ask a Question