Slight pain after a piece of root canal fell off

Had a root canal done on my second upper pre-molar about 15 years ago. Several years ago the tooth started breaking off, and now I am left with just a small piece slightly over the gum. About 10 days ago a small piece fell off, and since then I have slight pain when I eat something cold or inhale. I used to have pain when I passed the tooth brush there, but this has gone away and I barely feel the brush there now. I am wondering what type of pain I am dealing with? I coincidentally ate hard pretzels in the days before it started and my husband had pain too after eating them. Can it be just a temporary inflamed gum? Should I have pain in a tooth with a root canal? What it causing it? Since it is getting better, can I hold off a surgical extraction of the tooth since in 15 days will be leaving for Italy for a month? Or should I expect the worst and get it removed for the fear of possibly ending up with unbearable plane when travelling or when vacationing in Italy? thanks!

Whenever you have root canal therapy especially on a posterior tooth you should have a crown placed on the tooth. A tooth with a root canal becomes brittle and breaks easily. A crown will strengthen and protect it. Once the tooth starts breaking, the tooth can become re-infected. A dental x-ray will let you know if this is what has happened.I would suggest seeing a dentist before your big vacation.

Vote:
I will see the dentist for an evaluation, but am afraid about bleeding so may have to postpone everything until I come back a month later. Several years ago had a mole removed and the surgeon had to cauterize it to stop the bleeding. Then had a polyp removed and the obgyn had to also cauterize as well and still bled for a week even though slightly.. Also, had a PAP test done a few months ago and the obgyn was rough and I bled on and off for 15 days at a time! For some reason, I feel like I bleed longer and more than I should, and perhaps should be checked out before doing the extraction. If so, I am afraid it will get too close to my flight day and was told I shouldn't fly right after just in case of complications and to allow the blood clot.

Vote:

Ask a Question