Should I get my veneers replaced now?

sls

I had veneers put on my upper lateral incisors as a teenager. I've had them for over 20 years. I have been wanting to get them replaced for about 15 years because my gums receded shortly after getting them, and I have a gap between the upper edge of the veneer and the gum line. Plus, the upper borders of the veneers have gotten stained and cleaning doesn't work to remove it. So, not so pretty.

This past February, I went to a new dentist for a checkup. He took some digital images of the veneers and showed me a couple of things. For one, he said the bonding is about 30% dissolved. And second, I am developing a cavity under one of the veneers. He said it's just on the surface so when the veneer is replaced, the resurfacing would take care of it.

Unfortunately, I'm not in a great financial situation to pay the fee, even if I use healthcare credit and spread out the payments. When I asked the dentist in February whether it was urgent, he said no, it's not an emergency, but he recommended having them redone in the near future. (That, of course, was 6 months ago.)

So I'm looking for any professional advice as to whether it would be prudent to get this done now. Like, how quickly do surface cavities progress? Should I be concerned enough to make this a priority?

A second question I have is, I've been feeling for a while now that my breath is not as fresh as it could be. I've tried various toothpastes and brushing more frequently, but something inside my mouth seems off. It's not bad, but mildly concerning. If the bonding is 30% dissolved, is it possible that something has gotten under the veneer that is causing this? Or could it be the cavity?

Thank you to anyone who can give me some advice!

Hi, I am Gordon

Veneers usually stay intact around 14-18 years(under the condition that you don't eat anything hard), and it has a lot of type. 20 years of no replacement is a pretty good number.

People who have veneers for more than 10 years always worry about how it would looks if it cracks or stained. My advice is if you don't like what you have now, replace it or completely take it off. Veneer is like makeup, I believe your veneer is made of E max material, it is only there good for a period of time, when the time comes it should be replaced or taken off, but nothing would happen if you don't do anything about it.

Here is the link to a Facebook page that talks about veneer. !!! There is a video that might help you understand more about veneers, but I am not allowed to post any links on this page. Go to your facebook page and search for RDL, the first video is the one. !!!

As for the breath, it might have something to do with the food you eat or other things, no concern on the veneers if the dentist thinks it is ok.

Last edited:

Vote:
Yes you can replace your veneers now
but still i think you must contact with your dentist first
he will check your teeth status and the status of veneers and then you can remove it.

Vote:

Ask a Question