Should I get an eMax vs Zirconia crown for endodontically treated molar (tooth #26)?

Nan

I underwent root canal treatment in my upper molar (tooth 26), and had my tooth prepped to fit a crown.
I am looking into eMax (lithium disilicate) vs solid Zirconia for a crown.
Is it true that it is difficult to adjust a Zirconia crown after cementation (chairside) as opposed to eMax?
I am worried that if I choose a Zirconia crown and it will need an adjustment, the dentist might end up adjusting the healthy opposing tooth instead – (because of the difficulty in adjusting the Zirconia) and I would not be happy with that.
I should mention that my dentist took conventional (pvs) impressions of my my teeth, not digital.
Would eMax be preferred in terms of durability/wear/chairside adjustment? What would be my best bet between the two materials?

Attached is an X-ray of my molar (tooth 26) after root canal treatment with temporary filling, before crown prep.
I would greatly appreciate all insights and recommendations.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 388

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
[QUOTE="...I don't normally grind or clench my teeth, and I don't suffer from bruxism, but I did have a deep cavity in that molar (upper first maxillary) that ended up with the root canal treatment - and I'm just so unclear about what to do now. What is your opinion & suggestion?[/QUOTE]
Goodness gracious! (euphemism). My preferred material for a posterior molar is a gold alloy - fits well, indestructible, can be very thin, doesn't wear away opposing teeth, easy to adjust. Does that help you?

Vote:

Ask a Question