Seeking a high fluoride toothpaste prescription from a teledentist

I did some research into high fluoride toothpaste and I decided I want a prescription. I haven't been to the dentist in a long time and I don't really want to go. If I did go, the dentist would probably just say I don't need it or he'd offer me a fluoride treatment, but high fluoride toothpaste sounds like a very safe and cheap precautionary measure, especially with no children around. I read it can even treat root caries. I don't need to visit a dentist if I use a "teledentist" and I read teledentists are cheaper. Any advise on finding an internet based teledentist for this? This isn't even close to an emergency and I'm not comfortable going to a dentist's office for this. I'm in New York City.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is hard for a dentist in the US to prescribe you anything if you are not a patient of record and if you had no recent evaluations. You can try some Canadian pharmaceutical sites (I'm not familiar with any) and try to obtain some. Since you haven't been to a dentist in a long time, we won't know if you have any cavities, gum disease or any other oral diseases. Do you have a fear of the dentist, concerned with costs, and or difficult transportation/schedule issues?

Vote:
It's a cost issue as well as fear I'll be over treated. If something hurts long and hard enough I'll go, or if a filling falls out I'll go. I didn't go for a recent toothache which I think was an abscess. It seems to have cleared up and I'm brushing and string flossing at least three times a day plus using a Waterpik once a day, sometimes with antibacterial mouthwash, especially around my wisdom tooth that's partially covered by my gum, where I believe food entered, caused gum irritation, then the toothache and abscess in the molar next to it. I know all about bacteria hanging around after drainage but I'm throwing so much at it that I bet it won't come back. I'm also chewing Xylitol gum, taking vitamin D, drinking more fluoridated water, using CPC mouthwash twice a day, and fluoride mouthwash once a day (I do a mini-brush before the fluoride mouthwash so I actually brush 3-1/2 times a day. I did research and I know it's rare for such a thing to lead a life threatening condition, and I'm taking almost unheard of care of my teeth and gums.

^^^ I didn't really want to go there because I've been there on another forum and heard from dentists who saw a photo of my teeth. I was told I don't have periodontitis. I already made the decision not to see a dentist. I'll either continue with the above regimen or start with a high fluoride toothpaste and omit a couple of steps. I think the high fluoride toothpaste would be better for me because I don't like all the extra chemicals I'm getting from all the products I'm using and I don't like the extra abrasion from the extra brushing, but I'll continue and try to be careful.

Oh, I also bought a thermometer to check my temperature in case the toothache comes back. It's been normal since I started checking.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I understand your dislike of the dentist. Unfortunately there are a lot of dentists in the US that are hungry and may over-treat especially in an expensive area like California. I do like for you to reconsider and try to find a good dentist your friends and family trusts. You're always able to get different opinions if the dentist recommends extensive treatment. All too often I get people that come for emergency only and I can't help their deteriorating teeth and gums other than pulling their teeth. The worse case was when this lady came in for intense facial swelling of LL. It turned out to be terminal oral cancer that ate up and fractured the jaw bone and nerves as she was both in pain and numb on that side. She was suffering so much that I thought she only had a few days to live.

Vote:

Ask a Question