Description of my tooth problem. Seeking advice.

The last tooth on my lower right side has a dull pain in the gum right where it meets the tooth; right on the gum line on the tongue side. It has been hurting for about a year and a half when I brush that spot with my toothbrush. More recently, it has started hurting worse, and also hurts if I press on side of the gum close to the tooth with my finger. I've mentioned it to my hygienist a couple times during cleanings, but she said it looks normal, and nothing showed up on X-rays. Even now when I look at it in the mirror, it looks normal, with no redness or anything else on the gum. There are also no cavities or fillings on that tooth.

Does anyone here have any idea what the cause of the pain is? I have a cleaning appointment on May 21st, and I'm a little afraid to wait that long, but my dentist is 30 miles away and I'd hate to go there if there's nothing visible to see and X-rays don't reveal anything. So I thought I'd see if anyone here might have some idea of what's going on with this tooth.

Last edited:
Solutions
Could just be that you have an area of sensitivity. Maybe you have been over brushing there because you worry about it. Or you might just have a high point in your bite. Dentists tend to recommend sensitive toothpaste or some fluoride treatment (paste) as quite often such problems resolve over time. Can seem awful for a while and then they settle. Also if they start to treat the tooth it can make things worse. Have you tried rubbing a little sensitive toothpaste into the area and leaving it for a bit?

Vote:
Could just be that you have an area of sensitivity. Maybe you have been over brushing there because you worry about it. Or you might just have a high point in your bite. Dentists tend to recommend sensitive toothpaste or some fluoride treatment (paste) as quite often such problems resolve over time. Can seem awful for a while and then they settle. Also if they start to treat the tooth it can make things worse. Have you tried rubbing a little sensitive toothpaste into the area and leaving it for a bit?

I do have sensitive teeth and have used sensitivity toothpaste before, but it never seemed to really help. Right now I've been using a tube of Sensodyne like my hygienist keeps recommending. But the sensitivity on my other teeth is different. None of my other teeth have sensitivity to pressing on it with my tongue or finger like the one I'm currently concerned about. Also, it's not temperature sensitive. That difference with this one is what has me concerned. I've actually been brushing that spot less now because it just hurts too much.

I could also point out that I had braces from when I was 34 until 36, and now I'm 46. I've been noticing a lot of gum recession all around my mouth. My hygienist says this could be caused by the braces. Perhaps it also relates to my back tooth?

Vote:
Solutions
Gum recession can be inherited or it can be down to diet/lifestyle. Are you getting enough vitamins? But it's also down to age. Do you use an electric brush & floss? How is your bite? A lot of sensitivity is caused by bite issues. You must wear retainers. Maybe you should have some new ones made and see if that makes a difference to both your gums and the tooth.

Vote:
Gum recession can be inherited or it can be down to diet/lifestyle. Are you getting enough vitamins? But it's also down to age. Do you use an electric brush & floss? How is your bite? A lot of sensitivity is caused by bite issues. You must wear retainers. Maybe you should have some new ones made and see if that makes a difference to both your gums and the tooth.

I try to eat healthy, so I assume I'm getting enough vitamins. My age is 46. I don't use an electric brush, but I do floss at night. My bite should be pretty much perfect since I had braces and now use retainers to keep my teeth in place. Since they still fit, I'm assuming they're good.

Vote:
Solutions
I've used a sonicare brush for many years and it really helps with gum health. I assume you don't smoke. How long have you had the same retainers?

Vote:
I've used a sonicare brush for many years and it really helps with gum health. I assume you don't smoke. How long have you had the same retainers?

Nope, I don't smoke. As for how long I've had my retainers, you might find it hard to believe. After almost 11 years, I'm only on my second set. My first set broke while I was cleaning them 6 years after getting my braces removed. So I guess it's been about 5 since starting my second set. I figured this would be surprising to you because when I went to the orthodontist's office after 6 years to get a new backup set, the receptionist was amazed that it had been so long. She said that most people come back every couple months for a new set, and some do it every 2 weeks. I can't imagine having to spend $20 every 2 weeks or 2 months for new retainers which my ortho said I'll probably have to use for the rest of my life.

Vote:
Solutions
Maybe the receptionist is getting mixed up between retainers and invisialign braces where they have new trays all the time. But it might be worth changing retainers as it's possible your tooth surfaces have worn a bit over time and you might be pressing on that tooth at night when you didn't before.

Vote:

Ask a Question