Root Canal vs Extraction

I went to the dentist today to have my nerve removed in my lower back molar as the first part of my root canal treatment.

Despite a good few jags, I still felt pain as the drilling started. The dentist decided to stop and send me away with a paste in the tooth to kill the nerve and book an appointment for the following week. The dentist said that if the pain gets excrutiating over the next week (which it has been already) the only option is extraction.

Is it worth holding off on an extraction and bearing the pain to get the RC next week?

Also, if the tooth wouldn't numb today, with the nerve 'dead-er' this time next week, should it numb up eventually?

Thanks!

Lower molars are sometimes difficult to get numb for rct. This is not a reason to get this tooth extracted. You can try an intra-pdl injection. It works almost every time for me for cases like yours.

Vote:
Lower molars are sometimes difficult to get numb for rct. This is not a reason to get this tooth extracted. You can try an intra-pdl injection. It works almost every time for me for cases like yours.

Thanks Dentgr. Is that something I should request from my dentist?

Vote:
Yes...I guess the paste is caustinerf fort by septodont. I've used it in the past and it is sometimes painful for the patient but it DOES work in the end.

Vote:

Ask a Question