Can I still get a root canal? Dentist suggested extraction...

Went to the dentist due to immense pain I was feeling on tooth #13. I was taking ibuprofen to lessen inflammation. When I got to the dentist they said that it needs to be extracted. I want to avoid this and would like to know if an extraction truly is necessary based on the xrays. They almost convinced me to get it extracted but I figured I could get a second opinion as I would need either a bridge or implant which would be very complicated for me especially as a 23 year old in nursing school. I was not given antibiotics from the dentist, I am simply taking ones that I bought out of the country as I suspect it is an infection.

Tooth #13 was diagnosed to get a root canal in January and is now diagnosed for extraction. I have a dentist abroad in South America suggested he can save my tooth however the one here in U.S is suggesting extraction. Im at a crossroads, what can you guys determine from the xrays?

Fair warning, there is quite a bit of work that needs to be done in my mouth.

Now taking
Ibuprofen 400 mg 2 x daily
0.jpg

Amoxicillin 500 mg 2 x daily

Thank you :)

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
13, 4, and 3 are all likely RCTs. The problem with 13 and 5 is that there won't be a lot of strong tooth structure left after removing decay and doing RCTs. I would also be quoting you posts and cores, and crowns. If you did extractions, then a bridge or implant would be reasonable to replace 4, but would only advise implant for 13.
I would suggest you keep out of Sth America as you won't be able to go back there if there are problems. But get full itemised quote from 1st dentist in USA, then take X-rays and get 2nd quote from another dentist in USA.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you drink a lot of sweetened coffee, sodas, or energy drinks? You are getting rampant cavities. My observations are that nurses have very stressful jobs and consume so much of these high risk beverages that many get similar rampant caries as you now have (I know you are still a student and students are very likely to neglect their teeth). If you continue with rampant caries, no dentist can restore your teeth.

I wouldn't take antibiotics unless you have swelling. We don't have many effective antibiotics for oral conditions and with resistance getting more widespread, it could be a problem finding one that works well. Amox 500 mg should be taken 3 times daily for 7-10 days. As a future nurse, you will know more about antibiotic misuse and resistance.

Vote:

Ask a Question