Root canal - drilling too deep?

I have a crack in my molar (tooth #37) and my family dentist started a root canal and took an xray halfway. He said because it's a more complicated root canal than expected because it's a c distal canals, he would not be able to complete the procedure and an endodontist would need to do it. I have an appointment with an endodontist, but in the mean time, I showed the xray image to a dentist family friend and he said that it looks like my dentist drilled far too deep into the canal and that this could cause long term damage like infection and pain. I'm lost as to what to do and if I need to bring this up with my family dentist and would like some more expert opinions.

Image of Xray: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cV2bB19wdjXhhQPZ7

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

There is a chance that the dentist could have perforated the furcation area, or the area where the roots split. This is sometimes a risk when the canal openings or orifices are difficult to locate. The endodontist will be able to determine if this is the case, and is some cases, the perforation can still be repaired with MTA or similar material.

Vote:

Ask a Question