I’ve been told this tooth requires a root canal

Hi, i had a filling redone on this particular molar tooth due to old filling causing smell while biting. Previous was amalgam and then i had composite filling done 2 months a go. I’ve been advised by 2 dentists that it requires a root canal and other 2 didn’t mention anything. I really need your advice. What should i do? It has been 2 months since I’ve had the filling done it’s been sensitive to chewing and sensitive to hot/cold. Not extremely but its still sensitive enough to bother me.

Attachments

• 52ACD654-6ED4-4774-B308-D23AA1667EF7.jpeg
    52ACD654-6ED4-4774-B308-D23AA1667EF7.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 33

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You don't sound as if you have enough signs and symptoms to justify an RCT. Composites are more technique-sensitive to amalgam, and more likely to have post-op sensitivity. I'd retry an amalgam.

Vote:
You don't sound as if you have enough signs and symptoms to justify an RCT. Composites are more technique-sensitive to amalgam, and more likely to have post-op sensitivity. I'd retry an amalgam.
Hi and thanks for the reply. I might have to try that! Do you see on the xray if it’s touching the nerve or not?

Vote:
It doesn't appear to be. But that's not what decides whether you do an RCT or not. It depends on the type and severity of the pain.
I had a cold drink from the fridge last night and the cold sensitivity lingered for a while.. i feel like it’s getting worse over time

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Maybe, but still not needing an RCT yet. Go and get the filling changed back to amalgam and see if that helps.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with Dr. MattKW that you don't need a RCT at this point. Signs that you may need a RCT are intense pain that wakes you a night and or swelling around the tooth. The particular molar you indicated is very difficult to do a RCT because of it's anatomy. Too often I see RCTs on that molar fail because the anatomy is not thoroughly cleaned and sealed. RCT on that molar should be the last resort done by an experienced dentist preferably an endodontist with microscopic magnification.

Vote:

Ask a Question