Ripoff?

I have a friend in his mid-eighties whose dentist has told him that all of his lower teeth are decayed and must be extracted. Although he has experienced no pain, nor is there any visual indication that anything is wrong with his teeth, my friend has total faith in his dentist and is understandably upset. The dentist showed him (what were ostensibly) his x-rays indicating severe decay inside all of the teeth; yet there is no sensitivity to hot or cold or sweet or anything. Can this dentist's diagnosis be correct?

I question whether it is possible to have so severe a dental problem, with absolutely no symptoms. (My paranoia cautions that this elderly gentleman’s dentist may be trying to take financial advantage him.)

Solutions
I don't know what the dentists will think but I reckon that if you are at the grand old age of 85 and have no symptoms then stick two fingers up at such a diagnosis and get a second opinion.

Vote:
Thank you, Busybee. I agree with your suggestion, but am having difficulty in convincing my friend of the possibility that his dentist may be giving him an incorrect diagnosis. If I get any replies from dentists indicating that the diagnosis could very well be accurate, I would tend to defer to the professionals. But, I still would want him to get a second opinion.

Thank you for your response.

Vote:
Thank you, MattKW. At this point, I'm just trying to find out if it's possible that someone could be completely symptom-free and yet have such severe tooth destruction that they need to come out. The dentist is considering removal of not only the front teeth, but ALL teeth in the lower jaw(!) Last year, my friend was unsuccessful in wearing an upper partial bridge, and has been told he would not be a good candidate for implants. He's depressed and doesn't want to talk about it and would certainly not ask the dentist to provide x-ray copies. He's angry that I am even questioning his beloved dentist's diagnosis.

I intend to keep on pressing.

Vote:
Solutions
It's a pity Suspicion if a dentist were to advise a patient to have all their teeth out just for financial gain. We don't know the truth without x-rays as for all we know your friend may have an infection that could affect his overall health and be a risk to him at his age. If you cannot obtain x rays then try to persuade your friend to go for a second opinion just to make you feel better as a favour to you because you are so worried. Perhaps offer to pay for the second opinion.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
People can be without symptoms until really advanced. But I can't force people to have treatment they don't want, so sometimes just let them go their way and wait for them to return. I quite often encourage them (in writing) to look for 2nd opinions, and they can take Xrays with them. There's not a lot of fun or financial gain from extracting teeth which will potentially make them more miserable.

Vote:

Ask a Question