Dentist Ripoff? Please Advise

Hi folks , I would appreciate any guidance. I recently moved from another state and found a new dentist. He told me that he needs to replace one of my crowns because there was a small gap on the side bottom of the existing crown. He mentioned food particles can get inside and cause decay to the tooth. Now the tooth had a root canal done years ago. He cannot X-ray through the crown so he doesn't know if there is decay or not.
It will cost about $2000 since my delta dental insurance does not cover crowns. My friend recently visited the same dentist a few days ago and he mentioned the she would need 4 crowns replaced for the same reason. We are both in our mid 60s and wonder if this is a good idea to have the crowns replaced or just take the chance. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks so much
Jerry

Jerry- schedule with another dentist in your area. Most insurances will cover a free exam and it's worth asking around a few other offices to see other opinions. There's a possibility he could be correct, but it does seem a little unusual he said the same thing to a friend of yours.

Vote:
If there is no pain and not unsightly you can have any decayed margins resealed with flowable composite then it should last for many more years. Sometimes if it "ain't broke leave it alone" is well justified.

Vote:
Solutions
Is it true they can't xray through the crowns? Didn't know about this. Good to know about the resealing thing. I have two or three that probably need that. I am with Dasha and think I would get a second opinion. I an going to get a 7th opinion next week. I have a problem with basically all my teeth and I can't get any answers. I am 71. I just can't understand with all the equipment and know how I can't find out anything. I have been suffering with this since last November. I went in for a cleaning and had a fluoride treatment and my teeth have been killing me since and my bite and speech have been effected. I have trouble eating anything that is not soft. Lost 15 pounds I didn't want to. I am going to a dentist out of town and hope they can help. Get a second opinion and see what they suggest.

Vote:

Ask a Question