Repairing 1st molar before wisdom tooth extraction

Hello. One of my fillings cracked a bit and now food often gets stuck between two teeth and causes pain and gum inflammation. I'm planning on getting an onlay, but I also need to remove impacted wisdom teeth about 5 months later (I can't do it now because of a certain medication that shouldn't be taken in case of oral surgeries).
The problem is, my dentist warned me that it's risky because wisdom tooth extraction can damage an onlay. I'm pretty surprised, as we are talking about 1st molar, not 2nd. How likely is this scenario?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I wouldn't even worry a patient about this distant risk. Certainly the 2nd molar could be damaged despite best intentions, but not the 1st.
Curious,... what is the medication that worries you, and what are you going to do when the extraction of the wisdoms arrives? Stop the meds?

Vote:
Thank you. It's called Oralair and is used for allergy immunotherapy treatment, the course is 4-5 months. It shouldn't be taken until any bruises or wounds in the mouth heal up completely, as per instruction. I'm not worried about possible urgent extraction, my wisdom teeth don't hurt or anything, it's just that I've been reminded by yet another dentist that they should be taken out, so I guess I'll finally do it this year.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Ah, yes. It's not that it has a systemic effect that would interfere with OS, but rather that since it is dissolved in the mouth, we don't want it to get in a wound. If necessary, you could stop it at any time, have extractions, wait for initial healing (~2 wks) then resume.

Vote:

Ask a Question