Recent Dentist Visit - Deceptive Practices - Advice Needed Please!

In brevity timeline:
1 - Woke up last week with extreme tooth pain, called a local dentist for immediate appointment and they were able/willing to see me same day.

2 - Scheduled same day appointment and was told $50.00 for a limited evaluation to diagnosis which I was more than fine with.

3 - Went to appointment, issue was diagnosed and was told cost is $650.00. One extraction and one root canal.
They were ready to do immediately but I was NOT ready, just did not have the cash on me and they were willing to write me a script for pain meds in the interim of appointment. Scheduled appointment for the following day.

4 - Came for my appointment the next day, sat in dental chair and front desk personnel comes into room and required payment upfront before anything is done. I was fine with that, really had no choice. So I paid her $650.00 while in chair and she said she will email me receipt in 5 minutes, not a problem for me.

5 - Cosmetic* dentist came in (same women I did limited evaluation with) to do root canal and completed.
*Per dentist.
Afterwards, the Endodontist came in room to do extraction and that was fine too, few minutes.

6 - Procedure was done and right before I am about to leave, cosmetic dentist told me I have to come back next week for second part of root canal which will be another $350.00.

This was a total shock to me and was certainly deceptive and nobody told me a second visit was needed with more money.

All thoughts/opinions/advice are much appreciated!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The $350 should have been explained prior to treatment. I don't know what all the procedures were so I couldn't tell if they scammed you. Was this at a chain like Aspen Dental or Heartland? How were your dental visits prior? Do you have dental insurance? They should always give you different options like extraction instead of root canal. After a root canal on the back teeth, you will need a core build up and crown which can get expensive. My advice is to go to a dental office you trust where you see the same dentist. Try to go regularly to minimize any surprise emergencies.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Did you get initial quote in printed form? Always good to ask before starting any treatment so we can see what was proposed, and you have it in writing. Usually should have a written explanation of any other likely required procedures e.g. crown, like honestdoc says.

Vote:

GGG

What would you think of a dentist who does not provide any treatment plan of costs? I need a lot of work doing and I’ve consulted two dentists one of which I prefer but he refuses to put anything in writing?

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
What would you think of a dentist who does not provide any treatment plan of costs? I need a lot of work doing and I’ve consulted two dentists one of which I prefer but he refuses to put anything in writing?
Not sure about other countries but here in the US, treatment plans must be in writing. Do you use 3rd party dental insurance for help with fees?

Vote:

Ask a Question