Recent Apicoectomy

Hello, I had an apicoectomy done a week ago. It appeared that my recent root canal didn’t take and an infection showed on the X-ray. It was on one of my front teeth. My question is that I am feeling a lot of pressure when I press down on my lip around the area where the surgery was. Also feel that same type of pressure when trying to smile or when I move my mouth a certain way. I have a follow up with the Dr on Thursday which would make 2 weeks. Is this type of pressure normal? I’ve had two apicos done on different teeth in the past and dnt recall it taking me this long to heal. Thank you in advance for your feedback.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Too early to say. There is usually some nerve disturbance following an apico of front teeth, and they can feel strange for a long time.

Vote:
Too early to say. There is usually some nerve disturbance following an apico of front teeth, and they can feel strange for a long time.
Thank you very much for your reply! The pressure and heaviness go dwn the entire tooth.. not sure if I was specific enough or you may have thought the pressure is felt on my lip. Do you think infection could still be present? Thank you again for your time.

Last edited:

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you very much for your reply! The pressure and heaviness go dwn the entire tooth.. not sure if I was specific enough or you may have thought the pressure is felt on my lip. Do you think infection could still be present? Thank you again for your time.
It would be rare for the reinfection to re-establish in only a week.

Vote:
Sounds good. I’ll wait and see and hopefully I will heal properly. Thank you very much!
Dr Matt I am seeing my surgeon this Thursday as I had the apicoectomy done on the 27th of June.. I am still feeling uneasiness in the tooth plus when I put pressure on the surgical area I feel pressure that flows into the tooth.. I know we spoke last week, but would you have any take as to what could be going on? It doesn’t appear that anything is infected on the outside of the surgical site.. it also doesn’t seem to hurt if I put a little biting pressure on it.. thank you for your help!!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dr Matt I am seeing my surgeon this Thursday as I had the apicoectomy done on the 27th of June.. I am still feeling uneasiness in the tooth plus when I put pressure on the surgical area I feel pressure that flows into the tooth.. I know we spoke last week, but would you have any take as to what could be going on? It doesn’t appear that anything is infected on the outside of the surgical site.. it also doesn’t seem to hurt if I put a little biting pressure on it.. thank you for your help!!
Sounds within normal limits of what can be expected during recovery. This will take a few months to feel normal again, but it all sounds like going OK.

Vote:
Sounds within normal limits of what can be expected during recovery. This will take a few months to feel normal again, but it all sounds like going OK.
Thank Dr Matt.. My family and I are going on vacation this Friday and will be traveling on a plane. Should there be any cause for concern that I will be flying? Thank you again for easing my mind and nerves, very much appreciated!!

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank Dr Matt.. My family and I are going on vacation this Friday and will be traveling on a plane. Should there be any cause for concern that I will be flying? Thank you again for easing my mind and nerves, very much appreciated!!
No risks with flying, apart from crashing!

Vote:
Lol!! Thank you!!
Hi Dr Matt just wanted to touch base with you. I had my follow up appointment with my surgeon this morning and he echoed your words. Everything is healing nicely and what I’m feeling is normal. He scheduled me for a 3-6 month follow up X-ray. Again thank you for your knowledge and taking the time to ease my nerves.
Respectfully yours,
Peter

Vote:

Ask a Question