Questions about tooth loss?

Is is possible that tartar and plaque are the only things holding teeth in? I have some bad build up of plaque/tarter behind my lower front teeth( else where too but as you'll read why this area is my main concern). On this past Friday(May 2nd) I went to a clinic(London,Ontario,Canada) and was told the only thing holding my teeth(front 4 on lower level) was the build up of these 2 issues, I'm scared about this!!!Is this at all possible? Will getting this necessary work done make them loose or need to be pulled because that could be the only thing securing them in because of possible bone loss that could be unseen. I wonder and ask myself if the clinic is just trying to make extra $$$ off me? Will they become loose, can they be saved even if there's bone loss? I have the early signs of gum disease, but none of my teeth are wobbly, in pain, or hurt. I'm hoping that's a good sign?In fact I have no problem eating corn on the cob or a apple so this was a huge shock to me,although having been a type 2 diabetic for 7 years now & not seeing a dentist(very scared of them) for at least 4+ years does make me wonder if this is true.Going for a second opinion in the next week or 2! Given from what I've asked and told you, do you think there will need to be costly surgery or pulling of teeth. Thanks!

You would need to post an x-ray to get a satisfactory answer. An x-ray would show how much bone you have left supporting your teeth. Sometimes teeth that have a lot of bone loss can be saved with bone and tissue grafts. A second opinion in dentistry is never a bad idea. Make sure your dentist explains to you why you need the recommended treatment. Be sure to ask questions if you don't understand.

Vote:

Ask a Question