Preventing grinding teeth

I read that one should close your lips and have teeth apart (relaxing jaw) to prevent grinding. I have allergies and sleep with my mouth open. I know this sounds funny, but I don't know if I could sleep through the night breathing through my nose.

Suggestions, comments?

I think I've been grinding my teeth also, a night guard is a good idea, the whole thing about keeping your mouth open at night or closed or this or that is kind of difficult to manage, I mean who really knows what we're doing while we sleep. If I was aware of what I'm doing while I sleep I wouldn't grind in the first place right...I wrote a cool article about teeth grinding, maybe you can check it out :) good luck!

Vote:
I read that one should close your lips and have teeth apart (relaxing jaw) to prevent grinding. I have allergies and sleep with my mouth open. I know this sounds funny, but I don't know if I could sleep through the night breathing through my nose.

Suggestions, comments?

you can use a mouth guard..Now a days young and adults are using customized mouth guards..
Grinding teeth can have a variety of causes, nothing more than a habit. It also can be a result of the body's reaction when the teeth do not line up or come together properly. It also can be a symptom of certain rare diseases of the nerves and muscles in the face.

Vote:
Teeth grinding is known in medical terms as bruxism. Grinding and clenching teeth during sleep is very common. Grinding your teeth at night is usually caused by having stress and not dealing with it the right way. And if thats the case of yours as well, consider taking advice of a dentist as well as doctor to prevent grinding teeth.

Vote:
The main reason of grinding and clenching is stress.
Clenching may do more harm than grinding because clenching can cause degeneration in the joint.
There are some tips to stop grinding and clenching.

* Take a warm bath before bedtime. It can relax your jaw temporarily.

* Do exercise or a walk. They may help to relieve your tension and stress. As i said the main reason of grinding and clenching is stress.

* Remind yourself not to clench. Do anything which will remind you to keep your jaw relax. for example any dot on your cell phone or watch, sticky note etc.

Vote:
Keep your lips sealed, but your teeth apart. Your teeth should be touching only when you're chewing or swallowing. Drop your jaw and feel the muscles relax -- then try to maintain that feeling.

Take a warm bath before bedtime. The warmth of the water may temporarily relax your jaw muscles.

Exercise. Your body, not your jaw, that is. A walk or other mild exercise may help relieve some of the tension and stress that's causing bruxism.

Vote:
Bruxism is clenching or grinding your teeth. Most people are not even aware that they are doing this. In the United States, bruxism affects about 30 million to 40 million children and adults.

Some people grind their teeth only during sleep. This is called "nocturnal bruxism" or "sleep-related bruxism." Others grind or clench their teeth during the daytime as well. This is thought to be related to stress or anxiety. Stress can occur for many reasons, including sad and painful events such as the death of a loved one or the loss of a job. It can also occur from joyous events such as a new job or the birth of a baby.

Vote:

Ask a Question