Oral Fixation vs. Teeth Grinding

Hello all! Looking for some advice here...

I was at the dentist this week and was told after examination by the hygienist that it appears I grind my teeth at night. However, I am a mouth breather and upon reflection, I realized I have an oral fixation with chewing on pens at work during the day. Could chewing on pens produce the same sort of results that would mimic grinding my teeth?

I tried a mouth guard but it will not stay in and makes it very hard to fall asleep.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Chris in NEPA

Grinding teeth is a common medication side effect. Taking any anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication? If so, look up their side effects, and if it is the drug then change the treatment, or do no drugs at all.

No I don't think chewing on pens would produce the same result. One friend lost a lot of teeth due to night grinding and not routinely wearing his mouth guard. I don't think the momentary benefit of said drugs are worth your teeth.

Vote:
I had the same problem, I took a course of a sedative drug, a vascular drug, and then I stopped to grind my teeth at night. Consult your neurologist, very often it is a nervous problem

Vote:

Ask a Question