Pain with crown

I had a permanent crown put on about 4 weeks ago. I didnt have much pain with the temporary crown but now I have like a constant pain almost like a sharp ache. Its mostly just really annoying but sometimes gets bad enough to take advil. It doesnt hurt when I eat and its not sensitive to hot and cold. The dentist took xrays and exam and senstivity test. Everything looks normal. He said the only other thing is to do a root canal. Im wondering if I should give it more time but I dont think it should hurt like this after 4 weeks.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
About 5-10% of crowned teeth develop the need for an RCT. I can't say exactly why in your case, but generally speaking, a tooth that needs a crown has already had extensive fillings, so the "nerve" has been damaged many times. A crown prep can be all that's needed to push it over the edge. If not settling within 2 weeks, I start getting ready for RCT. The risk of an RCT is normally discussed when talking about the pros and cons of crowns.

Vote:

Ask a Question