Pain when biting with new crown

Hello,
I had a crown fit on a front tooth upper middle tooth and suffered nerve pain a couple of weeks after. I then needed a root canal and had that 1 week ago. In the 3 days after the root canal, the pain got worse and worse, so the dentist opened the tooth a couple of days ago, cleaned it out and gave me antibiotics.
The constant throbbing pain has now gone, but if I crack the tooth on my bottom teeth, the pain is the most extreme shocking pain that goes upwards.
I’m worried permanent damage has been done and would appreciate advice.
Thank you

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You had the root canal completed, and then the dentist opened the tooth again? Do you mean that he removed the root filling and refilled? Do you have any Xrays - before and after?

Vote:
Thank you for message. I had the root canal on the newly crowned tooth and because of the pain after the root canal, he opened it up again to ‘clean out the root’ he says, I believe there was an infection though, that he didn’t admit to. So he opened it up just to clean it out, the actual second part of root canal is still to be done in a few days and I still have temp filling at the moment. I’m on antibiotics and the pain isn’t continuous anymore, but I still can’t eat or talk confidently out of fear of knocking my teeth together because it’s so extremely painful to knock them together. He only put me on antibiotics when I got pain 2 days after root canal, he said I didn’t need antibiotics before that.
I don’t have x-rays, but the second time he opened the tooth, he did the x-Ray AFTER cleaning it out, rather than before, so I wouldn’t have seen the issue. I just can’t understand how I can have so much pain when I knock the tooth because the root is gone. I paid for this treatment and privately and I don’t know if to ask the practise manager to review my treatment because I have been in pain for so long and he can’t seem to find any issue.
Thanks again

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
OK, so root canal is unfinished. I would be taking anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen rather than antibiotics. Sometimes there is inflammation after a session of RCT and the tooth will "push up" just a little. In rare cases I take the tooth out of occlusion just a fraction.

Vote:
OK, so root canal is unfinished. I would be taking anti-inflammatory meds like ibuprofen rather than antibiotics. Sometimes there is inflammation after a session of RCT and the tooth will "push up" just a little. In rare cases I take the tooth out of occlusion just a fraction.
Thank you!

Vote:

Ask a Question